StrongLifts 5x5 - Stuck at Upper Body Lifts

2 Likes

Ideally I would still say run a 5x5 first for 8-12 weeks, but yeah you’re just about strong enough to jump into 5/3/1. -triumvirate is fine and prob the best introduction to the system

4 Likes

Yeah amazing how that works. All about the sells pitch and knowing your demographic.

1 Like

Mehdi also copies Mark Rippetoe’s dogmatic preaching. He gets people to stick with the program and buy the $10 app upgrade, because he sells it as the “only way”.

I was convinced I would progress much slower when switching programs. I probably would not be lifting nearly the weight I am now had I stuck with that approach. I do know one individual who got to 700 lb squats on 5X5 (that and a lot of tren).

1 Like

I agree with Badger, use the Triumvirate template for awhile. Give each lift it’s own day for awhile and try out some assistance stuff. Try pressing withouts quatting first and see if you likei it.

Dips, chin ups , rows, etc. If you do the assistance stuff and your 5/3/1 sets on the big lifts improve you know they’re working.

If that sounds dumb and youre comfortable lifting full body style and want to keep up full body stuff run the hard gainers template posted above.

5/3/1 can seem like a lot of complex numbers to keep up with, there are lots of good, simpler routines on T nation too.

1 Like

They’re both good but I think Triumvirate makes a better introduction to the principles of 5/3/1. It does a better job forcing you to balance your pressing with pulling, too, which is a lot bigger deal than a lot of newer lifters realize.

Pretty hard to go wrong with this layout:

2 Likes

I would start with whatever is the easiest version. See if that works first before doing more. If you keep getting stronger on the base version, stick with it, until it doesn’t work for a while.

In almost all cases getting strong takes a long time. Taking the time to figure out what works is an investment well worth the time now.

1 Like

I very much appreciate all the comments. I’ll go over the information you guys posted and think this through, but I’m pretty sure I’ll start with 5/3/1, I just have to define which accesories to use. I really liked the 5/3/1 for hard gainers article, maybe that’s a good way to start.

My plan is sticking with the next program at least for this whole year. I have no rush to get bigger or stronger right now, I made peace with that idea a long time ago. I’m just happy I got all my newbie’s gains, which are much more than I ever expected in these 5 months, and I’m sure I can still grow this year if I continue with this discipline.

Enough words, I thank you all very much for the information, it was definetly useful!

GastĂłn.

4 Likes

I’d recommend starting a training log over in the training log section as well. You can get plenty of feedback and support there, especially doing 531 as I imagine almost every poster on this site has run a variant at some point.

3 Likes

Have a look at Barbell Medicine’s Novice Bench Plug-in. It’s entirely focussed on adapting these LNP programs to keep the upper body pressing going.

BTW, did you started with an empty barbell?

1 Like

I did for most lifts except deadlifts (started with 70 kgs).