T Nation

Stronglifts 5x5 Questions

Hi, i have been doing stronglifts for just on two months now and my wieghts are starting to get up a bit so I have a couple of questions. I’m 185cm tall and 102kgs FYI.

1. Squats - I completed 5 x 5 of 120kgs this morning, i don’t feel like i’ve maxxed out yet however i’ve started to notice that after the last couple of sessions of around this weight my right knee - which i’ve had an arthroscopy on before - is starting to feel a bit sore. I presume this is because the weights are getting up as this hasnt happened until i got to these weights.

I’ve read that front squats are a good idea and better for tall people, should i swap to front squats on alternating days to see if this makes any difference to my knee pain and if so what weight should i use compared to my 120 kg squat? Or step back to 3x5 on the squats and keep adding weight?

1. Bench - I completed 5x5 @ 105 kgs today, but only just! I had to have a 30-60s break mid set to get out the last couple of reps in the last sets. Should i try again at 105 next time or just deload the recommended 10%?

2. OHP - Last session i completed the 5x5 with 62.5 kgs, which was brutal. Same question as no 2 try again next session with same weight or deload 10% and concentrate on form again?

3. Pushups - I’ve been mixing these up with variations and heres what i can do so far (egs are variations for each session), 3x15 with feet raised on ball, today - 1x15 with 10kg weight on shoulders and 2x10 with 10 kgs, and straight pushups (not done for a couple of weeks) 30, 25, 20. Do i keep going with the variations or try dips as i’ve read somewhere else?

Thats all the questions for now, thanks in advance for any help.

I’ve posted this over on the stronglifts forum but would like your input as well and think there are a few more members here than the stronglifts forum

Cheers

Tim

[quote]Timmeh wrote:
Hi, i have been doing stronglifts for just on two months now and my wieghts are starting to get up a bit so I have a couple of questions. I’m 185cm tall and 102kgs FYI.

1. Squats - I completed 5 x 5 of 120kgs this morning, i don’t feel like i’ve maxxed out yet however i’ve started to notice that after the last couple of sessions of around this weight my right knee - which i’ve had an arthroscopy on before - is starting to feel a bit sore. I presume this is because the weights are getting up as this hasnt happened until i got to these weights.

I’ve read that front squats are a good idea and better for tall people, should i swap to front squats on alternating days to see if this makes any difference to my knee pain and if so what weight should i use compared to my 120 kg squat? Or step back to 3x5 on the squats and keep adding weight?

1. Bench - I completed 5x5 @ 105 kgs today, but only just! I had to have a 30-60s break mid set to get out the last couple of reps in the last sets. Should i try again at 105 next time or just deload the recommended 10%?

2. OHP - Last session i completed the 5x5 with 62.5 kgs, which was brutal. Same question as no 2 try again next session with same weight or deload 10% and concentrate on form again?

3. Pushups - I’ve been mixing these up with variations and heres what i can do so far (egs are variations for each session), 3x15 with feet raised on ball, today - 1x15 with 10kg weight on shoulders and 2x10 with 10 kgs, and straight pushups (not done for a couple of weeks) 30, 25, 20. Do i keep going with the variations or try dips as i’ve read somewhere else?

Thats all the questions for now, thanks in advance for any help.

I’ve posted this over on the stronglifts forum but would like your input as well and think there are a few more members here than the stronglifts forum

Cheers

Tim[/quote]

1. You could try knee sleeves, prowriststraps.com makes some good ones. They could help some. Also, when you are squatting make sure you are sitting back (if you put something just in front of your knees before you started the squat you shouldn’t knock it over during the squat), and that your hips are the first to flex, not the knees (at the start of the squat). Also, the deeper you go generally the easier it is on the knees. Are you pushing out with your knees? As in, do your knees buckle inwards at all during the squat? It would be a good idea to incorporate deep front squats mid-week and see how that goes. I would recommend just warming up and seeing what you feel you could do. My guess it will be somewhere around 50-60% of what you are doing on back squats, but it might be heavier. The first time you do front squats though I would recommend erroring on the side of going a little light, try to make your work sets the weight you’d use for a heavy warm-up set.

I’d recommend repeating 120kg.

1. I would deload 10%

2. How brutal compared to bench? Did you pause during the set? Probably would be good to deload 10% regardless

3. keep going with the variations, push-ups are, in general, a superior exercise to dips. I’d recommend looking through the articles for new ideas on push-up variations. The Jack Lalanne push-up is a damn good one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVfe-crHDs&feature=related
    Also one-armed push-ups there are all sorts of possibilities.

What are your goals?