T Nation

Strongest Programmer in the World...

I am a nerd. My job : Programming.

However at the top of my hobbies list is weight lifting. I haven’t done it hard core, but it is probably my biggest fun activity.

I was reading a website of a similar company to what I work in, in teh US and one of the guys claimed in a funny way to be the strongest programmer in the world. By the pic he had I doubted it very much :slight_smile:

However programmers aren’t known for being the strongest of dudes so I thought it’d be interesting to see if there were some strong programmers.

I haven’t done any singles for a while but I should just to see where I am at.

Last I remember was :

Bench : 125kg.
Deadlift : 190kg
Squat : 155kg

at a weight of 95kg. So nothign amazing.

So any strong programmers? Anyone want to claim Strongest Programmer title? :slight_smile:

[quote]ozzyaaron wrote:
I am a nerd. My job : Programming.

However at the top of my hobbies list is weight lifting. I haven’t done it hard core, but it is probably my biggest fun activity.

I was reading a website of a similar company to what I work in, in teh US and one of the guys claimed in a funny way to be the strongest programmer in the world. By the pic he had I doubted it very much :slight_smile:

However programmers aren’t known for being the strongest of dudes so I thought it’d be interesting to see if there were some strong programmers.

I haven’t done any singles for a while but I should just to see where I am at.

Last I remember was :

Bench : 125kg.
Deadlift : 190kg
Squat : 155kg

at a weight of 95kg. So nothign amazing.

So any strong programmers? Anyone want to claim Strongest Programmer title? :slight_smile: [/quote]

How much programming do you have to do? I program in MATLAB all the time.

I doubt I’m the strongest programmer, but I’d say I’m a strong programmer - both in strength and programming ability lol.

I’m a programmer who trains (almost a year now) but I can’t call myself strong yet.

Definitely not the strongest, but what the hey:

Bench: 315 lbs (143kg)
Squat: 365 lbs (167kg)
DL: 420 lbs (191kg)

I don’t max out often at all, so these may be +/- a tiny bit, but close, anyways.

I do PLC programming, as well as Visual Basic, VB.NET, and HTML… I know, you C++ types will tell me I have no right to call myself a programmer, LOL. My title is actually ‘project engineer’, but my B.S. was computer science.

Now, if we could only get a thread going where people would post pictures of themselves, so we could see the people behind the avatars.

I have done some programming in the past and I can beat all those lifts.

Weak-but-getting-stronger programmer here.

I actually feel that my programming nature is making me over-think and analyze everything in my training and eating, so I’m really having to push myself to “just do it”.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I have done some programming in the past and I can beat all those lifts.[/quote]

Well, how much weight are we talking about?

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
Weak-but-getting-stronger programmer here.

I actually feel that my programming nature is making me over-think and analyze everything in my training and eating, so I’m really having to push myself to “just do it”.[/quote]

I’ve always adhered to the ‘big-bang’ theory, in programming and otherwise, so I’m the opposite: do it, then look back and scratch your head when it doesn’t work…

[quote]patricio2626 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

Well, how much weight are we talking about? [/quote]

Gym lifts:
Bench: 365 paused
Squat: 435
DL: 545

Comp:
Bench: 350
DL: 525

I’ve only done 1 push pull meet so I haven’t squatted in competition yet, but am hoping for about 475 when I do.

Weighting 215-220 right now.

Edit: sorry, my first response was to the OP, not to your lifts. Wasn’t meaning to contradict you specifically.

I did some programming before as well, can I get in on this?

310 bench (current), 365 squat(2.5yrs ago), 525 dead (2yrs ago)

haha

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
patricio2626 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

Well, how much weight are we talking about?

Gym lifts:
Bench: 365 paused
Squat: 435
DL: 545

Comp:
Bench: 350
DL: 525

I’ve only done 1 push pull meet so I haven’t squatted in competition yet, but am hoping for about 475 when I do.

Weighting 215-220 right now.[/quote]

Good deal. You have a solid lead on me. I’m currently at 201 lbs.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

haha

[/quote]

Damn, I’m beginning to think my DL is lagging. Mine is proportionately worse than several people I know of that are close to me in bench and squat.

B rocK wrote:

haha

Damn, I’m beginning to think my DL is lagging. Mine is proportionately worse than several people I know of that are close to me in bench and squat.[/quote]

It all depends on you proportions, some people are just built to pull. That and some people use cheater-sumo crap. (I’m just jealous because I can’t pull sumo)

B rocK wrote:

haha

Damn, I’m beginning to think my DL is lagging. Mine is proportionately worse than several people I know of that are close to me in bench and squat.[/quote]

How tall are you and how long have you been training?

I’m 6-1 and have been training hard since 2001. Just as a point of reference…

6’0", for 17 years, but a lot of those were just ‘maintenance’.

I highly doubt I’m the world strongest programmer, but I’ll set the bar higher in this thread, at least for now. I’m a computer engineer who used to focus on hardware, but am now in the security sector. I’ve programmed in C, C++, x86asm, Java, and Python mainly. Also a little bit of SystemVerilog, Verilog, and perl. My current lifts are:

DL 633x1 (raw)
SQ 441x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
BP 350x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

All of these were at a weight of 245-255 (the raw bench was in the gym, the rest are competition lifts), but I’m currently sitting at 275 after a bulk :smiley:

[quote]Bergman wrote:
I highly doubt I’m the world strongest programmer, but I’ll set the bar higher in this thread, at least for now. I’m a computer engineer who used to focus on hardware, but am now in the security sector. I’ve programmed in C, C++, x86asm, Java, and Python mainly. Also a little bit of SystemVerilog, Verilog, and perl. My current lifts are:

DL 633x1 (raw)
SQ 441x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
BP 350x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

All of these were at a weight of 245-255 (the raw bench was in the gym, the rest are competition lifts), but I’m currently sitting at 275 after a bulk :D[/quote]

Raining on my parade again. I still got ya raw bench so there.

Sorry dude! I do outweigh you by a fair margin though, so I’m not actually that much stronger, if at all.

C#, C++, Asp.net, Korn Shell, and Java.

Best competetion lifts are:

Squat: 597
Bench 352
Deadlift 584

All lifts were done in sinlge ply gear(Titan Victor, Inzer Blast) under IPF conditions.

Don’t compete anymore. Just trying to “look good naked”!