T Nation

Strongest Leg Also Smaller

My right leg is 1,5cm less in diameter than my left leg (quad area). It’s also notable because my shorts jam up on the left and sag down on the right. I would like to fix this imbalance. Doing more work with my right leg would sound obvious but it is my strongest leg and I don’t want to make my hip shift in the squat any worse. (Right side shoots up a little faster).
Any tips on how to fix this?

Somebody asked C.Thibadeau the same question in his section the other day.

"I would do two things:

1. Done one more set for the lagging size on every exercise
  2. At every non-leg workout I would add 3 sets of one exercise only the the lagging side, not going super heavy, focusing on the mind-muscle connection (I like the stato-dynamic pre-fatigue method of holding the positon of highest tension for 15-20 seconds prior to the sets and then immediately doing your reps)."

https://forums.t-nation.com/t/bringing-up-lagging-muscles-after-injury/275364/4

1 Like

Doing squat or hinge moves with a 9 second eccentric or lowering x 5 reps helped my hip shift a bunch. I got that from Thibadeau too. The slow motion really lets me feel it when one side isn’t pushing as hard as the other.

1 Like

My first guess is that your hip strength imbalance is the real problem. Your right glute is performing more efficiently than your left glute. (There is also the possibility that one leg is shorter than the other. A shoe insert could compensate some of the difference, unless the length difference is in the femurs.)

I would try hip thrusts working up to some pretty heavy loading.

Also, leg extensions and leg curls need worked where your hip engagement is eliminated.

1 Like

Buy a bit larger shorts and no one will never notice the difference.

2 Likes

I share the same thought. I once had a PT who demonstrated this for me, just by looking at me doing squats. The solution was to start every legday with one high-rep set of light, slow, controlled box assisted (aligned to the side of your working leg) lunges - to prevent rotation. It worked for me. I actually did this as part of my warmup every workout.

1 Like

Do you guys have a video or something where I can see this explanation? I have a tendency to shift so that the bar is lower on my right side (I don’t even know which direction to say that shift is). Basically i think my left hip is rotating forward more and my right hip is twisting back. What would I want to do in warmups?

1 Like

The situation you describe is extremely common.

May I recommend warming up with reverse lunges, but:

• use a single dumbbell, held in your right hand when training both the left and right legs
  • keeping your weight on the lateral side of your heel when doing the left leg. At the same time, don’t let your left knee “spin” outside your foot instead keeping it in line with your big toe
  • keeping your weight on the inside edge of your foot (inside heel and ball of big toe) when doing the right leg

This will help “turn” your body back to the left

Pair a set of lunges on each leg with each of your warm-up sets for squats

2 Likes

Sounds great! I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

1 Like

Wow thanks for all the replies! I will incorporate a couple of tips / movements in my workouts for next couple of months. I’ll check back in here with the results.

I did notice doing single leg rdls that I have less mobility on one side and it’s harder to rotate outwards with my torso on that side. (English is nog my native language, so I hope that make sense).

2 Likes