T Nation

Strongest College Football Team

Hey Guys,

what do ya think is the strongest Football team in College Football? Since I am not from the U.S. I dont have the chance to watch any games in tv or live so I am gonna ask you! I dont ask for the team which wins the most or has the most players in the pros. I wanna know which team “produces” the biggest players, so who is a real meat-factory?? I would say its the Sooners but what do you think? Thanks guys!!

[quote]GCNo.54 wrote:
so who is a real meat-factory??[/quote]

For this, I’ll steer you to the Brokeback Thread.

BALBOS is that you??

No I am not Balbos!! What the hell is the brokeback thread?? Sounds a bit gay…

if you take perrenial top 5 -10 teams, you will probably looking at some of the strongest

Nebraska under Brian Epley was one of the first colleges to get very serious about lifting. That was maybe 25 years ago so I have no idea who would be dominant today.

I’ll take a shot…

  1. Iowa
  2. LSU
  3. TCU
  4. VA Tech

Yes I also think Chris Doyle from Iowa is doin a real good job there! Some of the Hawkeyes are really looking big and they are damn fast too!! The Cornhuskers were big back in the days but I think nowadays there are just an average team when it comes to size on the gridiron.

Although not the rule …typically the schools that send more players to the NFL, have superior strength programs …

“The U”
USC
Penn State
Michigan

all come to mind.

I agree with USC but Penn State and Michigan got Hit strength programs so in my opinion not really good programs for developing athletic size or mass!

as for pure strength, I gotta say Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa.

The question can be taken as which team recruits the natural beasts and as a result “produces” some huge strong guys or it can be taken as which team develops guys the most from the level they were in HS.

[quote]JFS wrote:
Although not the rule …typically the schools that send more players to the NFL, have superior strength programs …

“The U”
USC
Penn State
Michigan

all come to mind.
[/quote]

Haha or maybe they just get superior athletes to begin with? Michigan’s injury rates and lack of player development despite their ridiculous recruiting draw is embarrassing.

ASU under Joe Kenn. Wrote the book on the Tier System. Uses OLs and Westside stuff. Thats a great combo.

IMO:

  • Iowa
  • tOSU
  • OU
  • WVU (hate to say it…)
  • FSU
  • VT

All interchangeable…

There it is, FSU has to be up there. Anyone pay attention in last year’s NLF draft?

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
IMO:

  • Iowa
  • tOSU
  • OU
  • WVU (hate to say it…)
  • FSU
  • VT

All interchangeable…[/quote]

Penn State and Michigan are automatically DQ’d for using a HIT system. Although, I did see PSU begin using some strongman exercises and trap bar DL’s. Thats better than 15 rep hammer leg press.

FSU produces some huge numbers, but they also have the best material to work with. Iowa does the most with the least, in my opinion. Taking kids that were relatively unknowns and creating beasts. Like Robert Gallery and Dallas Clark.

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
There it is, FSU has to be up there. Anyone pay attention in last year’s NLF draft?

[/quote]

Or the Buckeyes.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Or the Buckeyes.[/quote]

I’d rank ohio state up there pretty high. Their strength and conditioning just improved a lot with the hiring last year of Eric Lichter. I’ve witnessed him training troy Smith, Donte Whitner, Anthony Gonzalez. Pretty intense stuff.

[quote]TrenchDawg wrote:
Penn State and Michigan are automatically DQ’d for using a HIT system. Although, I did see PSU begin using some strongman exercises and trap bar DL’s. Thats better than 15 rep hammer leg press.

FSU produces some huge numbers, but they also have the best material to work with. Iowa does the most with the least, in my opinion. Taking kids that were relatively unknowns and creating beasts. Like Robert Gallery and Dallas Clark.[/quote]

Not sure if you’ve noticed but both programs produce some rediculously strong players. The programs work for the players.

Old school Nebraska hands down…Id say Miami but they have the most talented natural athletes around…as does FSU…the state produces genetic freaks.

I wouldnt put USC on the list but I would most definately throw Oklahoma and LSU out there/

[quote]Phoenix1911 wrote:

Not sure if you’ve noticed but both programs produce some rediculously strong players. The programs work for the players.

[/quote]

No, they really don’t. Some players are able to use their genetics and/or outside-the-program lifting to excel IN SPITE of those lifting programs, but not BECAUSE of them.

Anyway, as for the original question, I think Iowa and Nebraska do the best job of transforming lesser recruits into amazingly strong performance athletes.

Overall, however, I would put my money on Texas to have the “strongest” players.

Wake Forest, although relatively unknown, has an awesome lifting program, so I’ll give them an honorable mention.