Stronger: Weightlifters or PLs

[quote]Plim wrote:
Which are better at wanking?[/quote]

Whichever one the OP who started this nonsense considers himself!

Powerlifters are stronger…somebody had to say it…

You guys are complete idiots. WTF is your problem. The OP asks an honest quesiton and all you people can do is make some half retarded comment, with the exception of the few who answered honestly. This site has gone way down hill, and its because of people like you. if your not interested in the topic, or think its stupid, DONT FUCKING ANSWER.

To the OP, its a tough question to answer, but in my personal opinion weightlifters are stronger, and i dont think anyone can argue that they aren’t the superior athletes.

To the guy who deadlifts 6-something and cleans 240. your deadlift really doesnt matter, you may have weak legs and a strong back, your technique may be poor, or, like me, you may simply not have the Fast-Twitch fibres required for Olympic lifting. Remember, Cleans and Snatches are fast, deadlifts, not so much. How’s your vertical? thats probably a better predictor.

[quote]Deathroe wrote:
You guys are complete idiots. WTF is your problem. The OP asks an honest quesiton and all you people can do is make some half retarded comment, with the exception of the few who answered honestly. This site has gone way down hill, and its because of people like you. if your not interested in the topic, or think its stupid, DONT FUCKING ANSWER.

To the OP, its a tough question to answer, but in my personal opinion weightlifters are stronger, and i dont think anyone can argue that they aren’t the superior athletes.

To the guy who deadlifts 6-something and cleans 240. your deadlift really doesnt matter, you may have weak legs and a strong back, your technique may be poor, or, like me, you may simply not have the Fast-Twitch fibres required for Olympic lifting. Remember, Cleans and Snatches are fast, deadlifts, not so much. How’s your vertical? thats probably a better predictor.[/quote]

Yes, I think a lot of top Powerlifters could argue that they’re the superior athletes.

Just as the top Olympic lifters can argue that they are.

It’s a retarded argument either way. Comparing apples to oranges.

Depending on how one defines “stronger” you can argue for years and neither side can show proof.

That is why there were replies like there were.

ur asking about two different types of strength. powerlifters generally have better max strength or absolute strength. olympic lifters also have good max strength but their lifts in the olympic lifts require more explosive strength/perfect technique. also the olympic lifter practices those lifts.

so in terms of max strength, which i thought u were asking about, most of the time the powerlifter would be stronger

[quote]Deathroe wrote:

To the guy who deadlifts 6-something and cleans 240. your deadlift really doesnt matter, you may have weak legs and a strong back, your technique may be poor, or, like me, you may simply not have the Fast-Twitch fibres required for Olympic lifting. Remember, Cleans and Snatches are fast, deadlifts, not so much. How’s your vertical? thats probably a better predictor.[/quote]

yeah i don’t know why some people have there panties in a bunch too…I thought the question was a good one. I also thought this being T-Nation I would see intelligent debates about the post…

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
Deathroe wrote:

To the guy who deadlifts 6-something and cleans 240. your deadlift really doesnt matter, you may have weak legs and a strong back, your technique may be poor, or, like me, you may simply not have the Fast-Twitch fibres required for Olympic lifting. Remember, Cleans and Snatches are fast, deadlifts, not so much. How’s your vertical? thats probably a better predictor.

yeah i don’t know why some people have there panties in a bunch too…I thought the question was a good one. I also thought this being T-Nation I would see intelligent debates about the post…[/quote]

I think this argument has been done about a million times before in some for or other.

I don’t think anyone’s ever agreed on who’s stronger.

I don’t think there is any way of actaully deciding who is stronger.

I don’t know if either of them are actually any stronger than the other.

I think people need to understand they’re 2 totally different and pretty uncomparable disicplines.

I don’t think there’s any point to this thread.

I think within 6 weeks we’ll see another thread basically the exact same.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Mad Titan wrote:
Deathroe wrote:

yeah i don’t know why some people have there panties in a bunch too…I thought the question was a good one. I also thought this being T-Nation I would see intelligent debates about the post…

I think this argument has been done about a million times before in some for or other.

I don’t think anyone’s ever agreed on who’s stronger.

I don’t think there is any way of actaully deciding who is stronger.

I don’t know if either of them are actually any stronger than the other.

I think people need to understand they’re 2 totally different and pretty uncomparable disicplines.

I don’t think there’s any point to this thread.

I think within 6 weeks we’ll see another thread basically the exact same.
[/quote]

So in that new thread that appears maybe you can explain what you just typed to them so they can better understand, or, failing that, dont reply at all.

At the highest levels of the sport i would say, in general, Powerlifters are a bit stronger and Oly guys are a bit more athletic.

Below the higher levels it is a crap shoot. There are some freaky folks in gyms across the country, but also some mullets and dolts who give both sports a black eye.

The problem here is trying to use a generality like above to justify a training approach for other sports. If you are a baseball player , a tennis player, or a skill position football player, you need to do neither BP nor snatch. You need to build a base of strength and conditioning focused on what you are weak at and what you need to be great at in your sport. Maybe that involves squats, dls, power cleans, maybe not.

As a powerlifter and no fan of Oly for anything other than oly, i like Ethan Reeve’s approach at WF, a mix of PL, Oly, KBs, DBs, and strongman.

Oh yeah, after Rez it is a pretty steep dropoff when it comes to Oly folks in the squat. Go watch a few Oly meets and see if you see great squat strength.

Too each their own.

jack

[quote]Deathroe wrote:

Thank you. I was just trying to get some opinions and thoughts on the topic. I really don’t think that weightlifting and powerlifting are all that different. Some of the people here act like I was comparing marathon running to weightlifting.

To all those who replied in an intelligent and thoughtful manner I appreciate your input. I started this thread after seeing Travis Mash’s training log over at Elitefts. The dude is training for weightlifting and powerlifting and it was interesting to me to see how he combined the two. So maybe the two sports are not as different as some may think.

Please, if you some intelligent input on the topic, I would love to hear it. If all you have to input is some inane dribble, don’t post.

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:

Thank you. I was just trying to get some opinions and thoughts on the topic. I really don’t think that weightlifting and powerlifting are all that different. Some of the people here act like I was comparing marathon running to weightlifting.

To all those who replied in an intelligent and thoughtful manner I appreciate your input. I started this thread after seeing Travis Mash’s training log over at Elitefts. The dude is training for weightlifting and powerlifting and it was interesting to me to see how he combined the two. So maybe the two sports are not as different as some may think.
[/quote]

They are completly different tho.

And Travis isn’t near an Elite Level lifter at oly lifting, so it’s not really fair to hold him up as an example of how to do the 2 in conjunction.

I can’t believe no body brought Bruce Lee into this thread !!!

I’m not going to comment on either group being stronger, but I’ve always thought it’s funny that POWERlifting lifts involve much less power (Power=Work/Time) than olympic weightlifting lifts.

I saw a couple of my training partners take 826 raw and deep as fuck a while back (actually you kind of have to go deep with that kind of weight raw- you don’t bind up until your gut hits your thighs). Both are APF lifers. So much for your theory.

Honestly though, Reza is a strong guy that would probably excel at any strength sport.

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:
I was wondering what some of the T-Nation members thought. I saw a video of Rezazadeh casually front squatting 617lbs for reps. There is no doubt in my mind that he could probably do an Olympic Back Squat anywhere from 700-750lbs, maybe even 800.

If he was to put on a squat suit and train for a Powerlifting Squat he would probably do very well.

By the same token I don’t think that any powerlifter could Olympic back squat 800lbs. Or maybe they could. To me an olympic lifter could make the transition to powerlifting fairly easily and do very well. But I’m not so sure that a powerlifter could transition to olympic weightlifting with same ease. Thoughts? Comments? [/quote]

In general to me, when I watch the Olympics in Athens in 2004, I don’t think there is any better display of raw human strength. I have never seen a powerlifting meet where the lifters do anything as impressive as what is done in Olympic lifting. Watching smaller guys like Taner Sagir who at 170 lbs can snatch 400 lbs allows you to see the explosion and sheer strength that is imposed in one second. The distance that the bar travels in olympic lifting which is close to seven or eight feet is also more impressive than the six inches to two feet that the bar moves in powerlifting. However, powerlifting is still a great sport just because there are people moving 1000 lbs in one lift, and thats just a whole lot of iron.

Also, weightlifters could excel in powerlifting because they do practice the competitive powerlifts, (squat, deadlift, some bench.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
Deathroe wrote:

yeah i don’t know why some people have there panties in a bunch too…I thought the question was a good one. I also thought this being T-Nation I would see intelligent debates about the post…[/quote]

the fact that this is T-Nation is what should have clued you into the fact that this would NOT be an intelligent debate.

[quote]Deathroe wrote:

Since when did the DL become a slow-twitch dominant lift? Just because the bar isn’t moving fast doesn’t mean you are using primarily slow twitch fibers. In fact, it means that you are using nearly every fast twitch fiber in your body, but barely overcoming the load. No one tries to deadlift slowly or for endurance. If that were the case everyone would be training with 100 rep sets.

hossein is the man indeed, here he is squatting 671 twice

[quote]Kritikos wrote:
Hanley wrote:
I think the stupidity of this thread will only be surpassed by the amount of flames it will contain.

You got it my friend. OP, since you’re on a roll, please also ignite another American Football vs. Rugby debate, a thread asking whether bodybuilders are athletes or not, a funny-bones vs. twinkies vs. oatmeal pies debate, and finally one that ponders the life question – is Charmin truly the quilted quicker picker-upper?[/quote]

I just want somebody in Canadia to explain Timbits…