Stronger Than a 5th Grader

I may have written it wrong, but, what I meant was I was lifting with the legs almost solely with very little if any hip drive involved. My chest to back angles are maintaining form, just I’m pushing with my hips versus not initiating any hip drive at all. It’s hard to explain but once I started initiating the movement with some hips, it just felt smoother and I felt like I had more power behind the lift. Here is a link to the specific video I was referring to: - YouTube

I hope that makes sense. I re-read Wendler’s write up on squat form and see what you mean by not lifting with the butt. I’m trying to drive first with the hips out of the bottom. I’ll mess around with it some tonight with an empty bar and see what is going on.

I am a raw squatter. I like to try and get into a very tight position with the upper back, toes pointed out, and with knees driving out, then think of my upper body like a piston, with my ass as the engine that drives that piston. I want my upper body staying in the same tube (cylinder) on the way down and the way up.

My form breaks come when my upper body gets outside that tube and I break forward. Anyway, that is pretty much what I try and think about everytime I squat. I think a lot of people giving squat tips are describing the same thing, but have different “squat thoughts” to get to the same place form wise.

Also, I have heard the form changes somewhat for a geared lifter, and there is more “sitting back” that occurs like a box squat.

I also squat raw like JJ. I do pretty much the same. I always try to have my ass lead the way, if that makes sense. I push my ass out and have my chest held high. When I do it right, I can squat like a champ. But when I am off in dream land, Im a disaster to see.

All of the tips and insight are a huge help. I have a long way to go in getting everything down. It’s been so long since I squatted on a regular basis that I have to relearn everything. I have the basics, but want to tighten up the form now, early on into this rebirth of my lifting before I make a mistake that costs me an injury.

Thanks again, I’m going to keep learning as I go, so bare with some of the newbish type questions.

I train raw (most of the time) but now compete geared. I don’t think I consciously change my form depending on that fact. Funny, though, how different things work for different people. Like O says she breaks with her knees, which I always heard was a no-no. But, damn, it sure works for her.

Yesterday:
P2 W3 D1
Military
10xbar 10x65 10x85 working: 5x105 3x120 5x135
BBB 5x10x75

Shrugs 4x10

Rear Delts 4x10

Overall was a somewhat crap day. Felt flat. Not sure what was up. Maybe a week straight of rain got me down? Who knows.

Today:
Didn’t go to the gym. Decided to workout in the garage.
P2 W3 D2
Deads
10x95 10x135 5x185 working: 5x195 3x225 8x250
BBB 5x10x135

Ghetto GHR 4x10

Hang leg raises 4x10

Pretty much every day I lift is a new PR for me since I’m not counting crap I did 18 years ago. 250x8 was a big surprise. Only did 235x7 last week. Again, studying form and really trying to focus on it. So today I was pushing my feet through the floor. Weight seemed a lot more manageable and felt really good. I really would like to pull 405+ by next year this time. Not sure if I’m reaching too far with that, but that’s what I’m going to shoot for.

P2 W3 D3
Bench
10xbar 10x95 10x115 working: 5x135 3x155 10x175 super set lat pulls with bench 6x10
BBB 2x10x135 1x8x135 2x10x115

DB rows
3x10 1x20x70

Called it a day with that. Pushed the bench lbs up and felt really good. Next cycle going to go a bit heavier then 5lbs increase. May use today’s 10x175 to set a new max and reduce that for my training max as JW outlines in “The Book”. Probably going to do the same with Sat’s squat money set. My bench and squat numbers are going to move a bit faster vs military and deads, since I just started benching and squatting again 4 weeks ago after 5 or so years. Happy with the results so far with 5-3-1. Some days are great, others good, others not so much, but progress is the point, got to remember that.

On a side note, introduced myself to quinoa the other day. I think this is going to replace rice and other easy to make side dishes for meals from now on. Quinoa with some Frank’s hot sauce and some green onions or Tapitio is a lot better tasting to me vs brown rice.

This last week was deload week, so not much to report. School is kicking my ass right now and I have two tests coming up next weekend that I’m not prepared for, so this week’s training logs may or may not get posted until after next weekend.

Updates for this week, just posting money set and accessories:
Monday Military
12x125
Dips 4x10; Chin ups 2xBW 8x negatives (2 months ago could do zero chin ups) 5 sets

Tuesday Deads
12x230
GHR 5x10; Hang leg lifts 5x12

Thursday Bench
11x175 Superset Lat pulldowns
DB Bench 5x8-10; DB Rows 4x10 1x20

Decent week so far. In and out of the gym in 45 minutes each day is good…no sled sprints this week, this weekend it’s on again a long with the weeks that follow. Studying cutting into everything; will be nice to be done this weekend for a week or so then back to the books.

Hey welcome, love the title. I can relate. I have to write in my log to keep myself focused cause like you my ego and pride have caused injuries. Unless you plan to compete anytime soon, we are not in a race. This is our overall health and well being. We are not 20 year olds and there are a lot of men in this forum who I respect that are older than me and still pushing the iron around. I want to be one of them in 15-20 years and we cant do that if we keep breaking ourselves. Anyway keep up the great work and have a great weekend.

I share your “slow and steady” philosophy and think a 405lb deadlift is definitely achievable. I can’t agree with you on the quinoa though, disgusting stuff!!!

Now I just feel Like a Rude Ass hole. But welcome too the old folks home. Havent been keeping up with all the new posters.

If you just stay consistent and keep at it I bet you get to pulling 405 quicker than you think. Good work in here.

Jack

[quote]PMac73 wrote:
P2 W2 D1
Military
10xbar 10x65 10x85 working: 3x100 3x110 6x125
BBB 5x10x75

Shrugs 4x10

Rear Delt Deck 4x10

Workout was somewhat flat. Got in, got out.

On a more positive note, only two more tests to take this semester. Hoping to get in about 24 units next semester. Will be tough with work, but I need to graduate.

Seems “diet” is not a big topic on the 35+ boards. I’m not really doing anything special just eating good foods and lots of protein. Is that the norm round these parts? I just got finished with 12 months of dieting and losing 115 lbs, so the thought of cutting out my 12 oz steaks for lunch or dinner just doesn’t sound appealing. Plus the bacon with my eggs in the morning is a nice bonus. To note, I’m still losing about .5-1 pound a week since I slowly got back into “normal” eating, so not too worried if I eat a few extra cals here or there. Figured I’m eating anywhere from 3k-4k cals per day and still slowly dropping some inches from the belt line, so that’s a good sign.[/quote]

It’s been my observation that around here, unless someone is trying to hit a specific weight class, we just love to eat, get strong, and have fun. ‘Dieting’ is not what most of us consider ‘fun’. We do, however, try to eat right most of the time. 'Bacon, eggs, (the whole egg, not ‘whites’), and steaks. These are a few of my favorite things!!!

[quote]PMac73 wrote:
This last week was deload week, so not much to report. School is kicking my ass right now and I have two tests coming up next weekend that I’m not prepared for, so this week’s training logs may or may not get posted until after next weekend.[/quote]

What are you going to school for? I’m going for IT - Networking. Just started over the summer.

Some updates:
Sat Squats
11x195

leg press 5x12
leg curls 5x12

Monday Military
130x10

dips 5x12
chins was able to do 4 sets x BW; added 8 negatives last set was 1xBW 9Xnegatives

Rug, I’m going school for IT - Software. Been going for a few semester at a full load but want to speed it up some and get through so going to try and double the units per semester to get it done.

And thanks all for the welcomes.