T Nation

Stronger on DB Press than OHP

Hey guys,

I have a problem. I´m doing 5/3/1 as outlined in Jims books but I´m still weaker on the Military Press with a barbell than if I do it with dumbbells.
I could handle the 130 on the Military Press but with dumbbells I can use 70s per hand. So it´s 140 for both arms.

Should I replace the barbell with dumbbells or should I stay on the regular Military Press? What do you guys think?

Thanks.

just for clarity, are you doing the dumbell press seated or standing?

[quote]John_Meadows_Fan wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a problem. I�??�?�´m doing 5/3/1 as outlined in Jims books but I�??�?�´m still weaker on the Military Press with a barbell than if I do it with dumbbells.
I could handle the 130 on the Military Press but with dumbbells I can use 70s per hand. So it�??�?�´s 140 for both arms.

Should I replace the barbell with dumbbells or should I stay on the regular Military Press? What do you guys think?

Thanks.[/quote]

If I understand this correctly, you’re asking if you’ll get stronger by training your weak point? Or if you’ll get stronger by continuing to do something that you’re already better at?

Do I have that correct?

This would lead me to believe that you have a bad bar path on your barbell pressing. Otherwise this shouldn’t really be the case.

[quote]AMeadows21 wrote:
This would lead me to believe that you have a bad bar path on your barbell pressing. Otherwise this shouldn’t really be the case. [/quote]

That does sound like a likely cause. Jim said to do the Press with a barbell, so I would recommend that you continue doing it with a barbell. So you’re weak with a barbell, keep doing it and you’ll get stronger. Everybody’s weakest lift of the four is the OHP, just build it up. Do some FSL and do the reps paused, that should help as well. Check your form, work hard, eat, FSL paused reps.

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:
just for clarity, are you doing the dumbell press seated or standing?
[/quote]

I do it standing. Seated it is not comparable with MP.

[quote]some_dude wrote:

If I understand this correctly, you’re asking if you’ll get stronger by training your weak point? Or if you’ll get stronger by continuing to do something that you’re already better at?

Do I have that correct?[/quote]

yeah dude, you are right.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]AMeadows21 wrote:
This would lead me to believe that you have a bad bar path on your barbell pressing. Otherwise this shouldn’t really be the case. [/quote]

That does sound like a likely cause. Jim said to do the Press with a barbell, so I would recommend that you continue doing it with a barbell. So you’re weak with a barbell, keep doing it and you’ll get stronger. Everybody’s weakest lift of the four is the OHP, just build it up. Do some FSL and do the reps paused, that should help as well. Check your form, work hard, eat, FSL paused reps. [/quote]

My form should be good. I learned it from a former powerlifter and it is the same as Jim descripes in his book. But I think you guys are right. I should stay on the MP and try to improve and progress.

Im stronger with DBs on OhP as well. I attribute to how i trained before i knew what i was doing, which was seated DB work being my only overhead movement. Now standing with a BB im at about 250, but i can rep 120s with DBs. BB will catch up if i keep training it.

To answer your question on which one to do: do the one you want to get better and stronger at, simple as that.