Stronger on Close Grip Bench

So this week I trained chest on monday then arms on wednesday.

With chest, I did bench press with shoulder-width grip, and got 3 reps on my max set.

On wednesday, I worked up to the exact same weight, and got 8 reps on the max set. After I had already done heavy skullcrushers!

I feel a lot more ‘secure’ when I’m doing CG and therefore I can generate a lot more power. With regular grip I feel shaky.

This is probably the reason I have a small chest in proportion to my triceps.

Shoulder-width grip benching or wider hurts my shoulders, is there a way I can fix this?

Why do you want to bench wider? If you’re stronger narrow, bench narrow. Its easier on your body as well. If you wanna go wide and it hurts, buy a shirt and bench in it.

[quote] Matt wrote:
Why do you want to bench wider? If you’re stronger narrow, bench narrow. Its easier on your body as well. If you wanna go wide and it hurts, buy a shirt and bench in it.[/quote]

Agreed, if you are stronger in a position safer for your shoulders, why the hell would you do it any other way? Most people weigh the options of weight used vs shoulder safety, you get both in one position.

Why are you talking about training chest and arms in the POWERLIFTING forum? Take that crap to the bodybuilding forum.

Who the hell would ever train bench after skullcrushers?

A shoulder width grip is considered wide?

You probably have very poor technique if you are getting that big of a difference between CG and “wide”

Your best bet? Go hit up the hammer strength machines with the rest of the “bodybuilders” so you can say your bench is higher than it actually is. Or bench with your elbows flared all the way out, so you can target your chest and get a good burn.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Why are you talking about training chest and arms in the POWERLIFTING forum? Take that crap to the bodybuilding forum.
[/quote]

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?tid=126&__N=Matt%20Kroczaleski

Shut the fuck up.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
dankid wrote:

Shut the fuck up.
[/quote]

word.
this guys tryin to get help from guys who can lift and you want to send him away, cool it danny boy.
and to the OP, with the shoulder width grip, how long have you been lifting this way(with a bar, at this width)? if youve been a dumbbell guy for a while you might not have settled into using the bar yet, it takes time to get good at it and get used to it, just like everything else. keep working this grip at weights where you can focus on the form and technique, once you get that ironed out then start climbing up in weight. In the mean time keep working the close grip cuz you can never have too strong of triceps

[quote]ajcicconi15 wrote:
OP, with the shoulder width grip, how long have you been lifting this way(with a bar, at this width)? if youve been a dumbbell guy for a while you might not have settled into using the bar yet, it takes time to get good at it and get used to it, just like everything else. keep working this grip at weights where you can focus on the form and technique, once you get that ironed out then start climbing up in weight. In the mean time keep working the close grip cuz you can never have too strong of triceps[/quote]

I’ve been benching shoulder-width most of the time.

Dumbbells are something that I use now and then if I stop getting stronger on my bench (Did them this week actually). But yeah, mostly I use shoulder-width.

I threw in CGB the other day just to see how I liked it. I rarely do this and I smoked my usual benching numbers doing this.

I’m short-changing myself being strongest in a CG position though. I feel like theres something I’m doing wrong thats hindering my regular bench strength and subsequently; chest size.

Theres trouble keeping my elbows tucked when I go even to shoulder-width, then I can’t engage my lats very well.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
dankid wrote:

Shut the fuck up.
[/quote]

OOOOoooo. Wow. You found the one Pl’er out there that uses a body part split. And im sure kroc is worried that his wide grip bench isn’t high enough and that it might take away from his chest size.

Why not just bench some fucking heavy weight, and if your chest needs more work, add some wide grip pushups or flys?

Sorry OP, but your technique is shit.

[quote]dankid wrote:
T3hPwnisher wrote:
dankid wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

OOOOoooo. Wow. You found the one Pl’er out there that uses a body part split. And im sure kroc is worried that his wide grip bench isn’t high enough and that it might take away from his chest size.

Why not just bench some fucking heavy weight, and if your chest needs more work, add some wide grip pushups or flys?

Sorry OP, but your technique is shit.[/quote]

You are so fucking awesome! How much do you bench?

Maybe your CG really isn’t CG, and your wide is retardedly wide? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I agree with some of the others. If you’re stronger “CG”, than that is now your normal bench form. Congratulations; you’ve just easily added weight to your max. Be happy.

[quote]dankid wrote:

How can you possible know this? Seriously. Stop giving advice; you’re likely to do more harm than good.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
dankid wrote:
T3hPwnisher wrote:
dankid wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

Sorry OP, but your technique is shit.

You are so fucking awesome! How much do you bench?[/quote]

Obviously nothing over 405.

[quote]CrookedCrown wrote:
VikingsAD28 wrote:

You are so fucking awesome! How much do you bench?

Obviously nothing over 405.

[/quote]

I remember that thread, I didn’t remember it was dankid, interesting to see what forum it was posted in, hmmmm…

[quote] Matt wrote:
Why do you want to bench wider? If you’re stronger narrow, bench narrow. Its easier on your body as well. If you wanna go wide and it hurts, buy a shirt and bench in it.[/quote]

I stopped reading after this post. Amazing!!!

its funny, if I would have posted this thread, I would have gotten the same responses that I gave him. So you know what, I dont give a fuck what anyone says. This is the same guy that was giving me shit and saying sheiko was bad because it didn’t work my shoulder stability. And guess what this guy probably has a shoulder stability problem based on what he’s saying here.

The irony that is T-Nation forums.

[quote]dankid wrote:
T3hPwnisher wrote:
dankid wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

Do you really want me to post more logs?

Your fuck is presently down. Please shut it up.

[quote]dankid wrote:
T3hPwnisher wrote:
dankid wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

You do realise even with my ‘shit technique’ I’m repping more than your 1RM.

[quote]dankid wrote:
its funny, if I would have posted this thread, I would have gotten the same responses that I gave him. So you know what, I dont give a fuck what anyone says. This is the same guy that was giving me shit and saying sheiko was bad because it didn’t work my shoulder stability. And guess what this guy probably has a shoulder stability problem based on what he’s saying here.

The irony that is T-Nation forums.[/quote]

Where did I say that?

I said YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU TALK ABOUT and have NO COMMON SENSE because you are doing fucking routines like sheiko when you are barely stronger than your girlfriend/have little muscular development.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
dankid wrote:

The irony that is T-Nation forums.

Where did I say that?

I said YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU TALK ABOUT and have NO COMMON SENSE because you are doing fucking routines like sheiko when you are barely stronger than your girlfriend/have little muscular development.[/quote]

And I said you have no clue and crap technique because you are worried about how much your chest is getting worked, and can CG more than you can regular. I only do CG bench, but I know that any time I go wider I can do more weight.

[quote] Matt wrote:

x2

/Thread