Stronger Off A Deficit?

Is it possible to be stronger off a 2" deficit on conventional deads? I started doing my deadlifts entirely off a 2" deficit to work on my atrocious speed off the floor. Since then, standard bar height feels even more awkward (always felt awkward) and I’m worried all this deficit training is going to have nothing to show for. Is it possible I have stronger mechanics with a lower bar height?

Anything’s possible if it happens. :slight_smile:

I experienced this some time ago. I figured that on a deficit dead my hips were much lower in the starting position. ( it has to be) then when I went back normal off the floor, my hips would be higher for some reason. Once I dipped down a bit the numbers lined back up. For me my leg drive is pretty good and I have an issue with not getting my back locked at the start of the pull when pulling conv. I can pull better sumo.

I attribute it to my back being more in an upright position and easier to stay lock in. The deficit forced me to get low to maintain the more upright position and pulled better. I also noticed that I have tight hammies and that makes me round over more too.

Maybe get a selfie cell video of your form in a deficit and then off the floor. Look at back angles and hip heights and stuff like that. I’m sure you will pick up on whats going on.

Maybe because you’re lower you’re using your whole leg to initiate the drive, which is surely a good thing if you can translate it over to your conventional form.

Check out Mischa Koklaev’s pulls; he squats down really low. It might be worth trying to emulate

I have this too. I have a long torso and fairly weak erectors. By getting down below my starting pt off the floor I can have a more upright torso and deficit pulls give me momentum when my back should be taking over. Aka, for me and my frame, my back can’t handle the load so I do better on 2-4" def pulls.
Also, I don’t feel comfortable in deficit startin positions, so I get as tight as I can to keep from killing myself, I have no doubt that helps, too.

If it’s not the things already listed about lower hip position, maybe you are doing what I did and unintentionally keeping your hips higher and stiff legging it more and you having stronger hams and low back than you do quads.

I’m not stronger but I do feel like I have much more leg drive when doing deficit then normal deads.

I’m not too sure. I used to never pull more than 50% on deficits, and the session that influenced this thread was one where I pulled 100% of my max on a 2" deficit. I was shocked that I did this because my speed off the floor is absolutely SHIT. I was so flabbergasted that I thought it was impossible that I actually got strong enough to pull my max on a 2" deficit. So it’s either I’m stronger off a deficit or I’m getting stronger in general. I hope I am getting stronger in general!

Ask for blocks during the DL on the platform. Ha!

I’m stronger off the floor than with rack pulls. Go figure.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

I’m stronger off the floor than with rack pulls. Go figure.[/quote]

I’m this way too. I figured I was able to gather more speed from the floor.

[quote]Chicksan wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

I’m stronger off the floor than with rack pulls. Go figure.[/quote]

I’m this way too. I figured I was able to gather more speed from the floor. [/quote]

Same here.

Yes i do feel more powerlfull off a defecit! i feel tighter and have more power

[quote]csulli wrote:
Anything’s possible if it happens. :)[/quote]
lol

I love deficit pulls