Stronger at Incline DB Than BB Bench

I can’t bench alot(235) but I can do 130 dumbells for 6 on the incline bench. Most of the guys in the gym that bench in the upper 3’s can barely do 90 pounds on dumbbell incline. I always do the dumbell incline after flat barbell too. What gives?

Some people are shoulder dominant (not me) and you certainly appear to be that way. I imagine your military press is pretty good too. Your shoulders are taking the load when you flat bench so they are getting stronger at the expense of your pecs. Try focusing on Decline bench for a while and see if your flat bench doesn’t improve.

Stu

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
I can’t bench alot(235) but I can do 130 dumbells for 6 on the incline bench. Most of the guys in the gym that bench in the upper 3’s can barely do 90 pounds on dumbbell incline. I always do the dumbell incline after flat barbell too. What gives?

[/quote]

260 total for reps on incline but ony 235 max on flat bench? Something isn’t adding up there. Maybe they are extreme partial reps. But hell, if you have the strength to hoist up the 130’s period you should easily handle more on flat bench.

D

Got to agree here. Unless you’re trying to flat bench with an extreme wide grip if you can get a pair of 130’s up and incline them you can bench over 235.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
yogaroots wrote:

260 total for reps on incline but ony 235 max on flat bench? Something isn’t adding up there. Maybe they are extreme partial reps. But hell, if you have the strength to hoist up the 130’s period you should easily handle more on flat bench.

D[/quote]

Nope. Not partials, that’s why I’m curious to know why this is. As far as it not adding up…I think you may have answered my question. Some things just don’t have an answer. But if anyone needs a video clip, I’m sure i could post one. and for the record. Those dummbells are shiny with not a knick of paint missing of them because nobody is lifting them, partials or not.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Got to agree here. Unless you’re trying to flat bench with an extreme wide grip if you can get a pair of 130’s up and incline them you can bench over 235. [/quote]

I do have a wide grip…is this not good. i think flat bench just hasn’t been my thing. I can incline barbell more than i can flat bench too. the guy I workout with does 315 like nothing on the flat bench. and when we get over to the incline he’s dumbfounded at what I can do. oh well. I’m not complaining. I was just curious.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Some people are shoulder dominant (not me) and you certainly appear to be that way. I imagine your military press is pretty good too. Your shoulders are taking the load when you flat bench so they are getting stronger at the expense of your pecs. Try focusing on Decline bench for a while and see if your flat bench doesn’t improve.

Stu[/quote]

Sounds sensible stu thanks…

Yogaroots, how much can you use on the incline barbell press? That might give you a better idea of how to compare them.

You can generally do slightly more than twice the wieght of dumbbells on a barbell press. I’m guessing you could incline 275 for reps.

But that is very unusual to have that much of a difference.

Barbell Incline is at about 240. My incline has always been stronger than the flat bench. BTW it’s not imperative that I have an answer to this, I just figured there would be somebody here that had an explanation for something that I always thought was strange.

I’d guess he’s not engaging his lats to stabilize his flat bench and give him a platform to push from. Decline bench will get working.

You’re gonna have to post a vid, 'cause that is all kind’s of backwards.

all set here…thanks for the replies…stu’s answer will work for me. thanks again

[quote]yogaroots wrote:

[/quote]

Since your friend is incredulous as well it seems that you are probably not doing anything out of the ordinary like too wide of grip or such. So I am just amazed and shaking my head as well. A video would be helpful.

Also what is your dumbbell bench? Are there grip size differences between the bar and dumbs? And what degree are you setting the incline on?

[quote]headdrag wrote:
yogaroots wrote:

Since your friend is incredulous as well it seems that you are probably not doing anything out of the ordinary like too wide of grip or such. So I am just amazed and shaking my head as well. A video would be helpful.

Also what is your dumbbell bench? Are there grip size differences between the bar and dumbs? And what degree are you setting the incline on?
[/quote]

My bench does have a ultra wide grip. I thought this was best for overall chest development,no? My grip on the incline dumbells are alot closer. One thing I need to add here is that I don’t really get psyched when I bench. But I’m really amped for incline dumbells. It’s my favorite exercise. I will try to get video if as time permits.

Where do you fail on the flat bench and where do you fail on the incline? How far through the movement? Just off the chest? At lockout?

How much of an incline is on the bench? Do you have a big military press, too?

[quote]The Pencil Neck wrote:
Where do you fail on the flat bench and where do you fail on the incline? How far through the movement? Just off the chest? At lockout?

How much of an incline is on the bench? Do you have a big military press, too?[/quote]

My fail point on bench is at about 2inches off the chest
Incline usually at lockout. The incline is set at 3. It’s a pretty good angle. It’s not too high. I’ve never maxed on military press with barbell, but can do 80lb dumbbells. When this tendinitis clears up in my elbow I’ll do a military max and see what it is.

Sounds like your shoulders are stronger than your pecs. Normally, people’s pecs are stronger than their shoulders.

I would guess that if you do board presses, you’re going to see a sharp drop off in strength as you decrease the number of boards.

Some people have said to work declines, and I’d agree with that. Any sort of direct pec work might help you out. You would probably benefit from speed work to improve your explosiveness off your chest.

But also, you’re using a very wide grip, right? You might see your bench improve by moving your hands in by maybe a finger or three. That will probably change the muscles emphasized from your chest to your triceps/shoulders.

Those are just a couple of ideas that may or may not work.