T Nation

Strong Words: Oct 30

[quote] I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.
– Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960 [/quote]

I love lifting weights. It’s stress release, therapy, adrenaline rush, triumph and failure all rolled up into an hour or so of sweat and pain. It makes me feel alive. But it’s a failing of some here that we don’t see that being a “T-man” goes well beyond the weight room, and there’s many a man who’s never touched a bar of iron that could teach us lessons about being a man.

If you haven’t read “To Kill a Mockingbird”, I highly recommend it. In the most understated, laid-back of ways, Atticus Finch defines what it is to be a t-man. It’s a goddamned brilliant piece of work.

[quote]Northcott wrote:
I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.
– Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960

I love lifting weights. It’s stress release, therapy, adrenaline rush, triumph and failure all rolled up into an hour or so of sweat and pain. It makes me feel alive. But it’s a failing of some here that we don’t see that being a “T-man” goes well beyond the weight room, and there’s many a man who’s never touched a bar of iron that could teach us lessons about being a man.

If you haven’t read “To Kill a Mockingbird”, I highly recommend it. In the most understated, laid-back of ways, Atticus Finch defines what it is to be a t-man. It’s a goddamned brilliant piece of work.[/quote]

In the U.S. we generally read in sixth grade. Glad you guys in Canada are getting around to it. Let us know when you get to Huck Finn. It’s a good one too.

Atticus Finch a “t-man”? Huh. I’m not sure what to make of that, but it sounds kind of stupid.

I DO like lifting, though. But I generally just lift the fucking bar and leave the “philosophy” of such things and how they relate to books I read when I was fourteen to…well…people like you!

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
In the U.S. we generally read in sixth grade. Glad you guys in Canada are getting around to it. Let us know when you get to Huck Finn. It’s a good one too.

Atticus Finch a “t-man”? Huh. I’m not sure what to make of that, but it sounds kind of stupid.

I DO like lifting, though. But I generally just lift the fucking bar and leave the “philosophy” of such things and how they relate to books I read when I was fourteen to…well…people like you![/quote]

You were 14 in grade 6 and only beginning to read? Man… that’s rough. I’m sorry to hear it. And here I was thinking that you trolled just because you’re an asshole.

“But beyond that, Testosterone Nation is a philosophy, a way of life. It?s where there are no excuses and no apologies; where men are free to be men. It?s where the noble aspects of Testosterone rule.”

Lets see… 14 in sixth grade, which means he would have been driving himself to school in 8th grade, bet you’re were the coolest kid in middle school, must be rough to have peaked so early in life.

[quote]Northcott wrote:

If you haven’t read “To Kill a Mockingbird”, I highly recommend it. In the most understated, laid-back of ways, Atticus Finch defines what it is to be a t-man. It’s a goddamned brilliant piece of work.[/quote]

That’s because it was written by a woman! You did know that Harper Lee is female, right?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Northcott wrote:

If you haven’t read “To Kill a Mockingbird”, I highly recommend it. In the most understated, laid-back of ways, Atticus Finch defines what it is to be a t-man. It’s a goddamned brilliant piece of work.

That’s because it was written by a woman! You did know that Harper Lee is female, right?

[/quote]

Whether written by a man or woman it was a great story. I saw the movie and I think Atticus was the definition of integrity.

D

Great book and movie. I recommend turning off ESPN for a few hours and watching it. Why can’t we tell a meaningful story now where everyone keeps their clothes on and REALLY has something to say?

[quote]Northcott wrote:
I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.
– Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960

I love lifting weights. It’s stress release, therapy, adrenaline rush, triumph and failure all rolled up into an hour or so of sweat and pain. It makes me feel alive. But it’s a failing of some here that we don’t see that being a “T-man” goes well beyond the weight room, and there’s many a man who’s never touched a bar of iron that could teach us lessons about being a man.

If you haven’t read “To Kill a Mockingbird”, I highly recommend it. In the most understated, laid-back of ways, Atticus Finch defines what it is to be a t-man. It’s a goddamned brilliant piece of work.[/quote]

You’re absolutely right.

I coined the phrase (T-Man), and that’s exactly the kind of courage and conviction I had in mind.