Strong Words: Emerson

Apologies, I don’t believe in starting frivolous threads, but I couldn’t find an appropriate existing thread to slip this post into.

“None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today is the second time I’ve seen Emerson quoted in the Strong Words section. Props to whoever T-Nation worker-bee is with a taste in transcendental philosophy.

“Creator of a transcendental naturalistic belief system, Ralph Waldo Emerson rekindled appreciation for nature in many hearts, and espoused the kind of cosmic idealism that was also popular with the German idealists from Kant through Schopenhauer. He did this in a poetic, unselfconscious style which is a model of rebellion for anyone ever criticized for giving too much of a shit.”
-SRP ( http://www.anus.com/zine/heroes/ )

Appreciation for Emerson may go below. Same for any other philosophers/thinkers you like - I’ve seen Plato quoted in there too.

“Build your own world.”

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
“Build your own world.”[/quote]

What’s that a LEGO slogan or something?

“A great man is always willing to be little.”

That quote makes me think of leaving my ego at the door everytim I enter the weight room.