T Nation

Strong Words Applied to Bodybuilding

You’re alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act.?Barbara Hall

The same applies to bodybuilding. Your progress is not judged by how many articles you can quote. It is not judged by how complicated you can make a training routine or the fact that you have a log that lists exactly how many seconds that last set took.

The biggest and strongest have something in common. They know that action is more important than the thought of action. They know that their progress is based on their own effort. Lastly, they believe from the beginning that they can reach their goal and don’t even accept anyone telling them what their limits are before they begin.

In all honesty, those who have it in them probably don’t need this post. They would be the ones who knew what they wanted so they watched those who had it. They had the guts to make it to the gym and begin instead of sitting at home on a computer for two years reading articles as if experience can be made up for with more action-less reading.

Life is short. You do not have the time to sit around and wait for something to be handed to you. You either make a choice and act on it or you remain stagnant.

I am tired of stagnant people making their presence known as if they deserve respect simply for being.

They don’t.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You’re alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act.?Barbara Hall

The same applies to bodybuilding. Your progress is not judged by how many articles you can quote. It is not judged by how complicated you can make a training routine or the fact that you have a log that lists exactly how many seconds that last set took.

The biggest and strongest have something in common. They know that action is more important than the thought of action. They know that their progress is based on their own effort. Lastly, they believe from the beginning that they can reach their goal and don’t even accept anyone telling them what their limits are before they begin.

In all honesty, those who have it in them probably don’t need this post. They would be the ones who knew what they wanted so they watched those who had it. They had the guts to make it to the gym and begin instead of sitting at home on a computer for two years reading articles as if experience can be made up for with more action-less reading.

Life is short. You do not have the time to sit around and wait for something to be handed to you. You either make a choice and act on it or you remain stagnant.

I am tired of stagnant people making their presence known as if they deserve respect simply for being.

They don’t.[/quote]

Sounds like one of those Animal Stack ads. You should send it in to them.

Very true all the same.

People always over complicate things. Consistent hard work equals results. Period. Until you are putting in the hard work, why are you worrying about the blood glucose effects of an apple vs. a banana post workout?

Anyone who tries to tell you anything different is selling something. Magic pills, or routines, or movements don’t exist. I’m not saying don’t try to train smart, but you cannot substitute smart for hard.

Thanks for having so much patience with us and sticking around, guys. I know I’ve gained about 35 lbs, but I’m only 175. I have quite a bit to learn and, more importantly, do.

Occam’s razor.

Music to my ears. I used to be crazy on little details. It got me nowhere. Now I worry about progress weekly and eating more than enough. The end.

Thanks for this well timed boot up the arse
Cheers Prof

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
Thanks for having so much patience with us and sticking around, guys. I know I’ve gained about 35 lbs, but I’m only 175. I have quite a bit to learn and, more importantly, do. [/quote]

I agree. Thank you to all the big guys (especially Professor X) who have the patience to listen to everyone’s shit, speak the truth, and continue to give advice. I know I get frustrated all the time when people complain about certain things (school, relationships, fitness) and don’t do shit about it. You’re absolutely right, people need to just go out and learn what hard work is. Fail a few times and learn things for themselves instead of having things spoon-fed to them.

And like Trenchant, I have a loooong way to go. I’ve failed a lot before, and think I’m (hopefully) on the right track now.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

They don’t.[/quote]

This applies to all of life IMO, not just bodybuilding.

So many people like this…

Thanks Prof., as usual, well done sir.

Strong Words For Bodybuilding: Shut The Fuck Up and Lift

and good post.

Yeah, thanks Professor X. I have mad respect for you and all the other big guys. After lifting heavy for a year, I can only imagine how hard you have worked to get to the level you are at.

It’s sad that a lot of people need to hear this.

I’m constantly un-learning a lot of the crap I’ve read.

Wow. Very good post. Thanks alot for that. Very motivating indeed.Seriously.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
It’s sad that a lot of people need to hear this.[/quote]

No it’s not. Some of the greatest people in history have been inspired by others’ simple words even if it seemed like common sense to someone else. Although I already knew most of this, I have failed to act on it recently. Thanks for this thread Prof. X. It came at the perfect time for me.

Good post, these are true words.

I spent a few months of my life reading about training, and playing at the gym. It got me nowhere. Then I started lifting with progress, and eating enough. That got me somewhere. I’ve gained 20lbs so far. It’s not nearly enough, but I havent stopped yet :wink:

Every valuable thing I’ve learnt so far, I’ve learnt by doing (and failing or succeeding), rather than by reading.

Well put Professor X. Hopefully some will take notice of your post. Too many look for the easy way to reach their goals. Well there isnt an easy one in bodybuilding. It takes hard work and dilligence. There are plenty of solid programs already out there. Follow the paths of those who reached their goals already. There is no miracle program or supplement, only hard work ahead. But it is worth it.

the interesting thing about this post is there are only like 17 replies. if somebody made a post about the size of obama’s calves the views and replies would be through the roof…sad but true.

[quote]slimthugger wrote:
the interesting thing about this post is there are only like 17 replies. if somebody made a post about the size of obama’s calves the views and replies would be through the roof…sad but true.[/quote]

i heard Obama did a song with Lil Wayne

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Strong Words For Bodybuilding: Shut The Fuck Up and Lift[/quote]

Seriously. Shut the fuck up and lift/eat. You should come up with some catchy way to word that with lift and eat in there.

Good post X, hopefully this will open some of the eyes of the people on here who are constantly questioning stupid little things that don’t matter.