Strong Words 9-14-05

Thought it a little peculiar to see Hunter S. Thompsons suicide note on the “strong words” for today.

I guess it’s a reminder for us that getting old sucks? Or what can happen to a man if he doesn’t take care of himself? I’m not sure.

HST was one of those great American authors who figured he lived long enough and hard enough to go ahead and snuff himself out before things got any worse. He was wheelchair-bound at the end, and that obviously had an effect on him.

“I’m always bitchy, No Fun–for anybody”

Did he think that he was causing everyone around him too much grief so he figured he’d bid himself adeiu?

As for the “no more games” part of his note, he was talking about football. Dude hung on long enough to see who was going to win the Super Bowl before he pulled the trigger.

And people think sports don’t matter…

GAINER

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
And people think sports don’t matter…
[/quote]

more like “most women and guys with weak balls.”

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
Thought it a little peculiar to see Hunter S. Thompsons suicide note on the “strong words” for today.

I guess it’s a reminder for us that getting old sucks? Or what can happen to a man if he doesn’t take care of himself? I’m not sure.

[/quote]

It’s definitely not your everyday Strong Words quote. I guess we’re used to seeing something witty, funny or inspiring…but I think this is just as good, albeit depressing.

It’s a reminder that there are people out there everyday - great people - who get the life completely snuffed out of them, so much so that they don’t enjoy anything they do anymore. For someone like Hunter I think it must have been particularly difficult. His job was that of an entertainer, but how are you supposed to entertain people when nothing is fun anymore? It’s impossible.

I’m not sure whether his drug use had anything to do with it, but I doubt it did him any good. I also don’t think he lived the healthiest lifestyle, so perhaps we can use it as a reminder to live and eat healthy? Or maybe we could remember him enough to recognize when we see someone we know slipping into funk and help them out a bit?

Either way, RIP HSP.