T Nation

Strong Squat and Deadlift, Weak Bench?

Regarding the numbers, call him out on it, see his response, treat him accordingly going forward.

Regarding the suicide thing, that’s a grey area online because it’s just a turn of phrase for many and an actual cry for help to some. In that thread, he did say he’s currently on antidepressants and in therapy.

This is always available for anyone: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/talk-to-someone-now/

3 Likes

It’s an interesting phenomenon I’ve seen in the past few years, especially with people that spend too much time in an online fantasy world. They actually take themselves hostage and threaten self harm if they don’t get what they want.

Maybe it’s different times or what ever, but if somebody pulled some shit like that when I was growing up, the response would be “Here’s a gun. Go fuck yourself.”.

I know people would think I was an extraordinarily caustic prick for it, but when I see this shit sometimes I really want to say “Good. Do it outside so you don’t fuck up any furniture.”.

14 Likes

Since I believe we grew up in the same era… I can second that.

1 Like

I mean, it worked in Blazing Saddles…

10 Likes

That got legit loud laughter out of me.

3 Likes

blazing%20saddles

1 Like

I’m not sure if I appreciate the joke or the men in tights reference more.

In regards to the OP, I find it highly disrespectful to people dealing with real issues and mental illnesses to be throwing that kind of stuff around.

4 Likes

I was quite proud of the double reference too, haha.

Do you mean him killing himself over gains? As someone who has dealt with and diagnosed with anxiety and depression issue I found it annoying as fuck .

1 Like

Exactly that yeah. Mental health is a serious business, and throwing phrases like that around just seems disrespectful.

3 Likes

I agree. I hope you’re doing better. One of my classmates attempted suicide last year and nearly succeeded. I wasn’t close to him, but some of my friends were and it really crushed them.

I’m all for freedom of speech, but there should be a sense of responsibility

1 Like

What he said didn’t bother me as much as the why. It came across as self fucking serving in the context of the thread.

I’m good . I developed ways of dealing with the anxiety issue which takes care of any depression

2 Likes

That’s good to hear

1 Like