T Nation

Strong Men More Likely to Vote Conservative

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:
So is Edmund Burke a libertarian/anarchist now? New spin on political-history for me atleast![/quote]

Florelius my friend what happened to your avatar? [/quote]

I was dumb enough to take a pic at a indian graveyard :wink:
[/quote]

AHHHHHH…lol

I’ve always believed that libertarianism was the answer. Someone made a comment about the female “take care of me” attitude which is frighteningly accurate. I don’t know many female libertarians but 90% of the men I know feel this way, especially my co-workers.

I believe my taxes should pay for:

1. Government employee salaries and their benefits (to include military)
  2. Federal roads and buildings, things that everyone uses
  3. Technological R&D, like awarding contracts for manufacturers to develop new shit
  4. Wars, when necessary
  5. Grants for education on a merit basis only

AND NOTHING ELSE. OK, maybe I left out a few small categories, but you see my point. None of this health care, medicare, medicaid, social security, etc. All of it is nonsense. A social safety net only discourages greatness.

/rant

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I’ve always believed that libertarianism was the answer. Someone made a comment about the female “take care of me” attitude which is frighteningly accurate. I don’t know many female libertarians but 90% of the men I know feel this way, especially my co-workers.

3. Technological R&D, like awarding contracts for manufacturers to develop new shit
  4. Wars, when necessary

AND NOTHING ELSE. OK, maybe I left out a few small categories, but you see my point. None of this health care, medicare, medicaid, social security, etc. All of it is nonsense. A social safety net only discourages greatness.

/rant[/quote]

Agreed, but with a caveat that manufacturers have plenty of financial incentive to develop new shit without the government throwing a bunch of money at them. If I could design, build, and market a car with the performance of a Ferrari and the economy of a Prius, I doubt I’d need a government grant to sell a few of them unless the price were too high. If that was the problem, then it’s hardly the government’s business to subsidize the cost so I can sell it at a reasonable price point. It’s my problem to figure out how to balance the variables to keep the price to something the market will bear.

While the government funding new technology works in theory, in practice it often just turns into a way in which to reward political cronies with taxpayer money. (Or with money borrowed from China, nowadays.)

I would add that state/local governments (but not Federal) would have a few additional minor responsibilities. For example, if the parents taking care of a severely handicapped adult child passed away, and that person then needed some help with managing his life. If possible, however, he should still have some kind of job. I’ve seen some fairly severely mentally handicapped people working jobs like grocery store bagger and seeming to ENJOY their work. Unless you are a bedridden vegetable, chances are there is some kind of work you could be doing, at least for a few hours a week. To give you no opportunity to work at all is just wrong in my opinion.

One thing that is very often forgotten in today’s society is that there is dignity in working for a living. No one is being helped when the government pays them to just stay home and rot in front in front of a TV for the rest of their lives. It robs people of their dignity. That’s akin to psychological torture in my opinion – the government telling you have absolutely nothing of any value to contribute to society, not now or in the future. I’d just as soon get waterboarded as be condemned to living out my life as a helpless dependent of the government.

“One thing that is very often forgotten in today’s society is that there is dignity in working for a living. No one is being helped when the government pays them to just stay home and rot in front in front of a TV for the rest of their lives. It robs people of their dignity.”

Does it? Do people who waste away on unemployment actually have a sense of pride to begin with? The ones I know are perfectly content to suck on the societal tit until they die. Most people I know refuse to go on unemployment for the few months they are unemployed because they think it’s bullshit. Like me.

I agree wholeheartedly with this point because I feel the same. But those who never broke a sweat at work might not see it that way.

PS - My comment about R&D was geared exactly towards subsidizing costs of a Ferrari with the efficiency of a Prius. Your example was excellent. Also, I agree with the tax credits for high efficiency washers, dryers, cars, etc. That was a smart idea.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

Does it? Do people who waste away on unemployment actually have a sense of pride to begin with? The ones I know are perfectly content to suck on the societal tit until they die. Most people I know refuse to go on unemployment for the few months they are unemployed because they think it’s bullshit. Like me.[/quote]

Well said, basic psychology 101 sums it up nicely. A behavior rewarded is often repeated. Therefore, paying someone to not work is a really bad idea. Granted I am not against temporary help to anyone who finds themselves unemployed through no fault of their own. However, that help would only be given (for say a 6 month period) if they showed up at a “work station” supplied by the state and did some sort of manual labor.

It would be amazing how quickly the unemployment rate would go down. This certainly would not be a total fix but a step in the proper direction.

When I was 14-16 and couldn’t find a job at the local burger joint or grocery store, I delivered pizza fliers at 4 cents a house, mowed lawns, shoveled driveways, etc. All the stuff high school boys are supposed to do. Who says a 30 year old man can’t do that shit too while he’s looking for a full-time employment?

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
When I was 14-16 and couldn’t find a job at the local burger joint or grocery store, I delivered pizza fliers at 4 cents a house, mowed lawns, shoveled driveways, etc. All the stuff high school boys are supposed to do. Who says a 30 year old man can’t do that shit too while he’s looking for a full-time employment?[/quote]

Exactly! There is more dignity in working hard at low level jobs than collecting money that you didn’t earn while sitting on your butt.

Yes, but dignity is insignificant when you are getting paid to do nothing (for many). If dignity was significant, there wouldn’t be people collecting unemployment and bragging about how much they get. $400 a week! That’s MORE than minimum wage (10 bucks an hour assuming 40 hours a week) for doing no work. It should be $100 a week, enough to live in your friend’s basement and eat Ramen noodles to survive.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Yes, but dignity is insignificant when you are getting paid to do nothing (for many). If dignity was significant, there wouldn’t be people collecting unemployment and bragging about how much they get. $400 a week! That’s MORE than minimum wage (10 bucks an hour assuming 40 hours a week) for doing no work. It should be $100 a week, enough to live in your friend’s basement and eat Ramen noodles to survive.[/quote]

I am not for demeaning those who have been laid off. And the employer does pay into the system. So at least a surviving wage for 6 months or so providing that those 6 months are spent doing menial tasks for the state at least half the time. And the other half looking for work.

But the liberals would call this brutal and repressive.

Yea. Go pick up cigarette butts and trash along the highways. Help prison inmates make license plates. That’s what unemployment should be about (half the time)

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Yea. Go pick up cigarette butts and trash along the highways. Help prison inmates make license plates. That’s what unemployment should be about (half the time)[/quote]

One would think that the various politicians would have figured this out by now…Oh wait they have the liberals are just pandering for votes.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

4. Wars, when necessary

/rant[/quote]

Ok, so all you have proved is you have your own special interests. How are you any different from the current lot of looters?

I think the whole problem with this thread is that the word Conservative has been hi -jacked by the Republicans
Another definition they are trying to skew is Tyranny , they want to call it Social Conservative

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

4. Wars, when necessary

/rant[/quote]

Agreed, but with a caveat that manufacturers have plenty of financial incentive to develop new shit without the government throwing a bunch of money at them. If I could design, build, and market a car with the performance of a Ferrari and the economy of a Prius, I doubt I’d need a government grant to sell a few of them unless the price were too high. If that was the problem, then it’s hardly the government’s business to subsidize the cost so I can sell it at a reasonable price point. It’s my problem to figure out how to balance the variables to keep the price to something the market will bear.

While the government funding new technology works in theory, in practice it often just turns into a way in which to reward political cronies with taxpayer money. (Or with money borrowed from China, nowadays.)

I would add that state/local governments (but not Federal) would have a few additional minor responsibilities. For example, if the parents taking care of a severely handicapped adult child passed away, and that person then needed some help with managing his life. If possible, however, he should still have some kind of job. I’ve seen some fairly severely mentally handicapped people working jobs like grocery store bagger and seeming to ENJOY their work. Unless you are a bedridden vegetable, chances are there is some kind of work you could be doing, at least for a few hours a week. To give you no opportunity to work at all is just wrong in my opinion.

One thing that is very often forgotten in today’s society is that there is dignity in working for a living. No one is being helped when the government pays them to just stay home and rot in front in front of a TV for the rest of their lives. It robs people of their dignity. That’s akin to psychological torture in my opinion – the government telling you have absolutely nothing of any value to contribute to society, not now or in the future. I’d just as soon get waterboarded as be condemned to living out my life as a helpless dependent of the government.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Aren’t you supposed to be at the gym?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

You may be right but I don’t think so . I feel Zeb likes to discount an apposing opinion first on age then on the grounds of intellect .
[/quote]

In your case it’s ALWAYS the other way around.[/quote]

sup puss :slight_smile:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

4. Wars, when necessary

/rant[/quote]

Ok, so all you have proved is you have your own special interests. How are you any different from the current lot of looters?[/quote]

Most of those things are in the interest of the nation.