Strong Guys Who Eat Like Crap

In the past I’ve remarked about one of our regular freight delivery guys and how he’s 50 something years old, strong as an ox and probably eats like crap, thinking I should work for his company!

That said, even though you see many instances like this, when you are looking for gains for yourself (or specifically me, a desk jockey)usually eating nutrient and calorie dense foods is the most efficient way to go, despite the real-life exceptions one may run across.

[quote]SBB wrote:

When my kids were toddlers, some older people were reminiscing about yesteryear when moms used to “lock us kids out of the house so we would play outside all day.” That stuck with me, and now when my kids are choosing too many indoor (sedentary) activities or say there’s nothing to do outside (read: they’re being lazy), I lock them out for a couple hours. Funny how they find the most interesting and adventurous things to do when they’re locked out. They’re forced to be active – playing ball games, riding bikes, climbing trees, running, building forts, etc.

Some moms think I’m so mean to my kids when I do this, and it’s usually the ones whose kids desperately need more exercise. I guess it’s the idea that I literally lock the door that they find alarming, but if I didn’t, they’d be coming inside every 5 minutes for something, including telling me they’re bored.

[/quote]

My mom used to do the same to us. I think I spent the better part of my childhood trying to find a game I could beat my older brother at. I swear kids these days (and that probably sounds weird coming from a 19-year old) have no ingenuity.

Me, my brother and sister used to just go outside and play all sorts of random games. Whiffle ball, football, wallball and of course the classic “baserunners” which was just an elaborate way of running back and forth for about a half hour. I think it’s no big secret why me and my two siblings were both pretty well recruited college athletes.

All my little cousins need something to constantly entertain them instead of thinkin up shit on their own.

Whatever happened to, “Alright, go run and hop that fence, steal a toy from the neighbor’s dog, hop back over the fence, then run back over here and climb up the tree to that branch. Whoever does it faster wins.”

[quote]Brett Tucek wrote:
Professor X wrote:

If you are actually working hard and have decent genetics, overall caloric intake becomes more and more important than where those calories are coming from if the goal is just size and strength. If your goals are to lean up that is where the nutrient analysis becomes more important.

It was mentioned before how poorly Mariusz Pudzianowski eats yet looks the way he does. Look at what he does with that food. That makes all of the difference.

If you’re talking about Pudzianowski’s diet that was posted in a magazine, I’m pretty sure that was a hoax. [/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what did this sample diet consist of?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
50 year old welder picked up a 400 pound stack of angle iron like it was nothing. and his breakfast was always something out of the machine in the breakroom, often a honeybun.[/quote]

LOL that is great.

I just came back from visiting my girlfriend on the East Coast. While we did eats our vegables, we also put away way more pastries and chocolate in a week than I’ll typically see during a month. So how come I came back leaner and stronger? I suspect that building a fricking house (cottage, actually) had something to do with it. And the sex. It couldn’t have hoit.

This is a direct quote from Jim Wendler when asked about weight gaining tips:

“This is what I did to gain a ton of weight. It?s not healthy, but it worked. Breakfast: 1 lb of ground beef plus 2 cups of rice
Snack: Weight gain shake
Lunch: Whatever ? usually another 1 lb of beef
Snack: Weight gain shake
Dinner: 1 lb of ground beef plus 2 cups rice
Snack: Weight Gain shake
3 A.M feeding: Weight gain shake
I felt like crap doing this but I got strong as hell.”

Taken from the elitefts web site. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/jim2.htm. So obviously nutrition is important for overall health, but not for getting stronger.

what’s your definition of strength???

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
what’s your definition of strength???[/quote]

physical strength to me is real world… when you san move the wrench your mate couldnt....when your mates say let chiseller have a go …when you pull something special out of the bag when all else has failed…blah blah blah…

then you have strength of heart…where again you pull that something extra from sheer grit…and finally the strength to admit defeat but to come back next time and try again and again till something gives…

ITS NOT THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT…ITS THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE DOG…aaarrrrggghhhhhhhhhh

i sit here drinkin stella and eatin black pudding and pasta after bustin a gut at work…gettin home and bustin a gut being a single parent, bustin a gut workin out like a dinosaur, bustin a gut being a boyfriend that makes my girl smile…and being happy doing it whilst keeping the wolves from the door…all this takes strength. and at thirty five …never felt better…or as tired lol

I grew up on pancakes loaded with butter and syrup(any time of the day, Mom would always fix them), McDonalds, PB&J, and cookies. I didn’t get fat because I caught crawl deads in the creek all day with my neighbor. That was until I got a basketball goal for Christmas. Then we’d play games to 100, rest for about 5 minutes, and play some more.

I used to think nutrition was super important, and it is depending on your goals, but now I realize it’s more about just getting something in your body to perform and not be tired all the time. Since coming to college, I eat 3 huge meals a day with some desert each time, and train muay thai and BJJ like a mad man. I am as lean as ever.

I don’t see why it’s hard to understand.

When I was in high school, most of the girls looked good body-wise. Most of’em played sports, so an ugly girl might also play soccer, so at least her body wasn’t bad.

I’m 22 now, and I can see the standard dropping the older I get. Girls don’t play sports but eat like they did in high school, which equals more fat chicks. Most men, of course, go the same way.

Those in the blue collar world are alot more likely to be a hell of a lot more active- at my job, I walk probably 10 miles a day and lift bags of stone and cement all day. I’m betting that’s a bit more activity than the standard desk jockey. It’s like getting paid for GPP…and some of the strongest guys I know start every day with the “construction worker’s breakfast”, aka a Marlboro and coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Lunch is McDonald’s, and dinner is whatever the wife makes.

I always thought he looked more like Val Kilmer.

It just goes to show the importance of plain old hard work. A lot of people tend to forget that portion of the equation.

I was so concerned about nutrition and ate 100% clean all the time. Now I eat maybe 70% clean and dont really track cals or macros and I am getting leaner and bigger. Hmmmmm.

[b][quote]Professor X wrote:

If you are actually working hard and have decent genetics, overall caloric intake becomes more and more important than where those calories are coming from if the goal is just size and strength…[/quote]
[/b]

I just wanted to quote X on this point because, for some reason, people can’t seem to grasp it, no matter how often it is repeated.

I think this is a good thread. At my former job, I made steel flatbeds for pickup trucks, and gooseneck hitches. It is truly amazing how strong blue collar people are. I ran a pirahna p70 ironworker, and a whitney punch press. Once and a while, I got to run a trumpf Tru-matic laser cutting machine.

I would curl 30 pounds 1600 times on a 10 hour shift. granted I was using two hands, but a fella gets strong grip and arms from that much work. The strongest man in the plant was the old man that ran the damn Trumpf’s. His job consisted of using a suction crane to swing a 1000 pound steel sheet onto the cutting surface, and then unloading hitch centers, stacking a 100 pounds worth at a time, and carrying them 10 feet.

The man was 50, but could kick any man’s ass in the plant, including his son who worked their too. The old man smoked marlboro’s and drank coffee at 3 o’clock in the afternoon when everyone was soaked with sweat. I am soooo glad I work for the state now.!