Strong Guy Fights MMA (vid)

I thought it was a pretty good fight…kept me entertained.

I think I saw a different video than some guys here. I’m assuming the guy in black is the guy we’re talking about.

He comes out strong outta the gate with a good round house-cross combo and follows up with a sweet knee as soon as he sees the guy come down. I don’t like how he swings his arm back as a counterbalance whenever he kicks. He does this a lot and each time he is setting himself up for a cross.

He goes down well with the guy and takes the rear immediately, but he should have established position and got his hooks in before he started attacking. It looked like he went into wrestling mode for a moment by the way he moved.

The guy needs to work his clinch a lot, which is why he got thrown. He didn’t even try to fight the double underhooks and started floating.

I liked his use of open guard on the ground. Too many people just cross their ankles and hang on. He was on his back instead of his hip though, so he couldn’t really start working. Good position, no follow up.

The second stand up exchange was decent, and I liked how he used the half guard from the rear but he missed a great opportunity to transition to rear mount and they got stood up. Maybe that’s his plan. I get the impression he’s more of a stand up fighter. He doesn’t even really fight hard for position the next time the go to the ground.

In the end, the ground is where he loses. He gets stacked, and then comes the ankle lock.

Overall I liked his stand up, but he could work on his ground game some more. He had a couple decent moments on the ground tho, so we’ll see.

Props to the man for walking in the ring and the training it takes to get there.

ankle locks, heel hooks, toe holds…I hate them…7 times out of 10 you don’t get em and you give up the dominate position, but of course if you score it that one time you’ll probably go for it all the time.

Sorry it took me this long to answer, but I don’t come here very often.

From what he said on sherdog, he is a powerlifter, and he had, at the time of the fight, something like a month of stand-up and grappling training, with no prior fighting experience.

And the guy he fought was a multiple freestyle wrestling national champion or something.

I really don’t know if to buy it, but if it’s true, he’s certainly got balls.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
ankle locks, heel hooks, toe holds…I hate them…7 times out of 10 you don’t get em and you give up the dominate position, but of course if you score it that one time you’ll probably go for it all the time. [/quote]

Ken Shamrock? “I’m just a brawler/heel hook fighter, no need for ju-jitsu”

Most people going into MMA focus way too much on strength then is needed, especially on T-Nation.
IMO the attributes most needed for MMA in order are:
Technique
Speed
Conditioning
Strength

[quote]JaysonVirissimo wrote:
Most people going into MMA focus way too much on strength then is needed, especially on T-Nation.
Technique
Speed
Conditioning
Strength
[/quote]

technique
conditioning

at higher levels then adding in strength and speed makes a diff. and most of your strength and speed can be trained off of your technique.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
JaysonVirissimo wrote:
Technique
Speed
Conditioning
Strength

technique
conditioning

at higher levels then adding in strength and speed makes a diff. and most of your strength and speed can be trained off of your technique.[/quote]

very true. In fighting, technique and conditioning will get you very far.

I figured it was going to go badly for him when he tripped on the ring steps.

Oh that’s cold!

Technique
Speed
Conditioning
Strength
[/quote]

all of the above dont mean shit if you aint got heart…an if you`ve got heart strength goes a long way…period

[quote]Chiseller wrote:
JaysonVirissimo wrote:
Technique
Speed
Conditioning
Strength

all of the above dont mean shit if you aint got heart…an if you`ve got heart strength goes a long way…period
[/quote]

Hear hear

Technique
Speed
Conditioning
Strength
[/quote]

I think conditioning is the number one deciding factor by far. A lot of people on this board can probably bench twice what I can, and squat maybe 3 times what I can; but let us fight a little and you’d be surprised how strong I get after a minute or two.

I’d rank number 2 as experience. The old guys can be pretty nasty at times, especially in Judo!

strength can make up for inferior technique, and superior technique can defeat strenghth and speed. Speed can avoid strenght, but the strong guy only needs one or two shots. It honestly comes down to who’s better on that day.

I believe in technique over strength, but then there’s the law of diminishing returns. I’m at a point where a little bit of time in the weight room will be much better for me than a little more time on the mat. Which is why I’m on this board of course :smiley: