Strong Enough?

I’ve read in a few of the articles that are on here in T-Nation that you need to reach a certain level of strength or build a base before truly starting with bodybuilding. What would you need to be able to lift to get the most out of it?

[quote]itjadagreat wrote:
I’ve read in a few of the articles that are on here in T-Nation that you need to reach a certain level of strength or build a base before truly starting with bodybuilding. What would you need to be able to lift to get the most out of it?[/quote]

That’s nonsense. You can start bodybuilding at any strength level. If your goal is bodybuilding, no better time than the present to get started.

That would be like saying you have to get big enough, and have a good base of size before you start powerlifting…it doesn’t make sense. If the goal is to get as big and aesthetically pleasing as possible, then train as such.

[quote]itjadagreat wrote:
I’ve read in a few of the articles that are on here in T-Nation that you need to reach a certain level of strength or build a base before truly starting with bodybuilding. What would you need to be able to lift to get the most out of it?[/quote]

I feel it’s just another dogma that you have to do “x program” or lift “x amount” of weight before you do any sort of sensible BB split. As long as your training is on point and you’re eating enough you’re going to benefit from a bb split. Most beginners will gain from almost anything especially at the start. Yet will it be optimal? I for one wish I would have started on a BB split my first year and if I had not been fed some bs about you must do “starting strength or you must do this first!!” blah blah… I think I would be a bit bigger now and would have more training knowledge when it came to bodybuilding.

Construct a routine around barbell movements that work for you, add a few isolation movements and some machine work here or there. It’s not that hard.

“Bodybuilding” is getting a desired physiological response from something. That something usually includes attempting to over time lift heavier and heavier weights in exercises that target the desired area, while gaining the accomodating body weight with the strength. Your body doesn’t know the difference between a “powerlifting routine” and a “bodybuilding routine”. It simply adapts to what you throw at it, given it’s challenging enough to revoke adaption. Thus it makes no sense that you have to do “powerlifting routine” if your goal is bodybuilding.

The certain level of strength you read about is towards people who arent even coordinated enough for the most simple movements. When i lifted for D-line(played center) in highschool i trained for “strength” and got bigger. After highschool i did a “bodybuilding” split and also got bigger. I didnt notice a difference between the two IMO.

Unless your specializing for a sport (powerlifting, strongman, etc…) i wouldnt even distinguish between different “types” of training. Just keep getting stronger on lifts and grow.