Stripping Weight

Chubs as i put it in my first post, i posted on here and came on here looking for some no bullshit ways to strip weight firstly and foremostly. Yes i understand that the best training for surfing or any watersports is watersports. Unfortunately due to work its not always possible for me to surf everyday. It gets dark at 5:30pm and unlike u in the winter here im wearing a 3/2 sealed steamer. What im getting at is that i was after some ways other than surfing to lose the weight because i couldnt be sure that i would be able to spend the time in the water.

Another important thing to bear in mind is the vast difference between Hawaii and Australia. I have been so i know both sides of the story. Its ok to be 100kg tank when u got 6-25ft waves to surf. It is not ok to be 100kg when u have .5-3ft waves to surf. yes we get our big days here as well but nowhere near the regularity of hawaii. The other thing that struck me in hawaii is the popularity of bigger boards. Over here we ride smaller boards, im 6’3" and ride a 6’4"x 18 1/2"x 2 3/8" as normal board. With this in mind thats why i have set the goals i have. yeah i wanna be a skinny haole cause i surf better that way, faster more agile, more flexible, how many air reverses has Sunny Garcia ever done??? Oh and have a go at Kalani, i think he might even be skinnier than Kelly.

I have found in the past that weight training has really helped my surfing so i have been through here looking for ideas that i can tailor to my own needs to counter weaknesses i have with leg strength.

Basically i dont want to be huge but the info on here has helped me make some informed decisions about how to get to where i want to be, a 190lb haole.

Ive said enough, im going surfing, its actually good.

Now for anyone who cares, i am a 190lb haole. Maybe 197 to be precise but i have done it, over 40lbs in less than 3 months. I have managed to do it while probably gaining muscle as well. At the start it was mostly fat with very little muscle underneath. I have done a lot of cardio and some weights and a lot of surfing as well. For anyone interested this is what my program has evolved into since it began.

The days i do weights i do a 2 supersets of the following bearing mind that weight is split between the two dumbells.

10X deadlifts 4/1/2 20 kg dumbells
10 weighted situps with 10kg
10 push ups 4/1/2
10 squats to the floor 4/1/2 with 20 kg dumbells
10 pec flys 4/1/2 15kg dumbells

After that has been done twice i work my shoulders with side raises with dumbells 2X8 15kg dumbells same weight forward raises. Sorry bout not being aware of the proper names for this stuff but then kneeling raises with 15kg on one dumbell 2X8 4/1/2. Then bicep curls with 15kg one dumbell 2X6 reps 4/1/2. Then overhead extensions single dumbell 15kgs 2X6 4/1/2.

Finally do 10X2 walking lunges with 15kg.

This routine has been kinda fun and varied and i look forward to it but i think it might need some changes to keep it fresh but i also have been limited with equipment as u can see ha ha!!! Some of the above i have tailored the movements to suit.

This is what my week looks like

Mon AM 4 km run
PM Weights

Tue AM 4km run
PM Body weight resistance

Wed AM 4km run

Thur AM 4km run
PM Weights

Fri AM 4km run

Sat AM 4km run
rest of the weekend off surfing mostly as with the afternoons lately i have been surfing as well but a couple of times a week if its been bad i have done a quick beach run and then swum bout 1/2km as well as what i normally do later that night.

The body weight resistance stuff involves bout 20 mins of pushups different types of ab work situps crunches side to side, leg raises. Some jumping jacks and backwards leg raises and dips etc basically all done as one big superset with minimal rest in between.

I think that i will beneift from possibly changing some sessions to doing a lot more stretching and trying to improve flexibility for the next 6 weeks and maybe dropping the weights altogether a few weeks out so my muscles are fully recovered when i jump on the plane!!!

Hey Mate,

Im from Brissy so i know its hard to understand where some of thes guys are coming from!

Instead of running 4k every day try and change to interval training, high intensity 85-95%max with a 2-3:1 work:rest ratio, its more specific conditioning to surfing as there are long work periods followed by short rest, also will spare any muscle/strength loss.