Stripped Down Hypertrophy

I want to try this out and read the layout of the plan on this site, but it was also recommended that I take this Surge Recovery stuff. Anyone do this workout plan and or take this Surge?

You should look into some kind of PWO (post workout) drink, as it does help a lot with recovery. Surge is up there quality-wise with the best of them. Then again, the best supps. won’t do sh!t unless you put 110% in the gym, and take care of the rest of your diet and nutrition.

Stripped down hypertrophy is the one by Joel Marion right? I tried that, and yes it worked pretty good for me. I took Fish Oil, Metabolic Drive, Surge, and BCAA’s while on that program - in fact I use that stack pretty much all the time.

I try to stay away from as much supplements as possible though. I mean I am sure the gains are great, but I like just having a clean diet and eating a shit load of lean meats.

[quote]ronin45 wrote:
I try to stay away from as much supplements as possible though. I mean I am sure the gains are great, but I like just having a clean diet and eating a shit load of lean meats. [/quote]

Then do use Surge. Supplements are a recommendation not a requirement. However, the authors normally recommend something because they find it benefits the trainee if they are doing everything else correctly.

I have done Joel’s program and really enjoyed it. I used Surge and support its recommendation. Your PWO nutrition needs to be spot on given the volume and frequency. If you think you can do that without Surge, fine. For me it is simple, mix and drink during and after. Surge has helped with energy and soreness, letting me work harder in the gym, leading to gains.

Do you avoid protein powders, too?

I used it, gained a good amount of weeight while staying lean. I didn’t use Surge, but I make my own blend of CFM whey isolate, maltodextrine, dextrose, and casein. Kinda like Surge.

I do have ON protein powder which I take before and after my workouts. I also take a regular creatine. It’s not that I wouldn’t mind taken them, but I am usually allergic to things. I use to take amino 2000 or something and I found out it makes me sick if I take those straight like that.

[quote]ronin45 wrote:
I do have ON protein powder which I take before and after my workouts. I also take a regular creatine. It’s not that I wouldn’t mind taken them, but I am usually allergic to things. I use to take amino 2000 or something and I found out it makes me sick if I take those straight like that. [/quote]

Similar to me in your supps. I used to use ON whey afterwards and found Surge better. Probably the carbs. Waxy maze seems to get good reviews elsewhere on the site as something you could add to the protein but I do not have any experience with it.

Check out the ingredients of Surge in the Store. If you can afford it, why not try it?

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

Check out the ingredients of Surge in the Store. If you can afford it, why not try it?[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth. No $$$$$ brotha. lol

I did this for 3 weeks, and i was DONE, not much DOMS, but the joints will feel the pain, so i suggest Fish oil or Flameout. I chose this split:

BB Bench
BB Rows
Front Squats

Dips
Pullups
Deadlifts

My post workout meal was fish oil and whey protein. But i think you should take his advice when he says don’t do squats with deadlifts, it will kill you. If i was to do it again i would switch out front squats for lunges or something. And maybe switch BB bench to dumbbell variation to take some stress off the shoulders.

i done a few workout using those template(to complete training week), doesnt seems like much on paper but very demanding, i struggled to finish in about 60minutes…

[quote]ronin45 wrote:
I want to try this out and read the layout of the plan on this site, but it was also recommended that I take this Surge Recovery stuff. Anyone do this workout plan and or take this Surge? [/quote]

The latest info I’ve read (a double-blind placebo controlled study) was that a PRE-workout protein drink was much better than PWO. I’d cover the bases with MD low-carb before, half the Surge during, and the other half PWO.

The old timers used to drink honey during and after workout, if you don’t want to do the Surge. Keep a bottle of water handy if you do that.

Good luck!