T Nation

Strict Overhead Press Your Bodyweight for 10 reps challenge

How many people can do this? been a goal of mine for awhile

I got close the other day and got 9 at 185lbs

Little slop in a few but it was a 2 rep pr and closer to the goal.

Anyone else want to race to it?

Did you mean strict overhead press for 10 reps? I remember you had dropped down to about this weight a while back. Impressive work man.

My best recorded effort as of recently was a 225 for 4 rep touch and go press at about 190.

This will go to the lighter people, not fairrrr.

Jk but yeah I am assuming you mean BW for 10 reps, being that everyone should be able to strict press their bw for 1.

I hit 250 for 5 yesterday and my best strict press is only 285x1 but I do weight 241. Ill try bw for 10 once im down to 230 in like a month or 2.

I did 225x1 at low 190’s recently.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Did you mean strict overhead press for 10 reps? I remember you had dropped down to about this weight a while back. Impressive work man.

My best recorded effort as of recently was a 225 for 4 rep touch and go press at about 190.

yeah strict overhead press your bodyweight for 10. I think the thread title was edited

solid with the 225x4! im sure you got 190x10

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I did 225x1 at low 190’s recently.[/quote]

Nice work!
my buddy who got 2nd at Nationals in the 175s and has a 350 push jerk did it at the end of a workout and killed it.

He is a nut

I’m about 40lbs away (I weight 210) because I had to stop OHP completely for a few years until I got a swiss bar. I’ve also worked out an impingement and can now straight bar OHP if I keep the frequency reasonable. This thread motivates me to make reping my BW a long term goal.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
I’m about 40lbs away (I weight 210) because I had to stop OHP completely for a few years until I got a swiss bar. I’ve also worked out an impingement and can now straight bar OHP if I keep the frequency reasonable. This thread motivates me to make reping my BW a long term goal.[/quote]

I suffered from impingements for a long time and what really helped me is doing front/side/lateral raise super sets for 3 sets of 12-20 reps with light weight, tons of rear delt work

I found that doing 50 shoulder dislocates a day has made a tremendous difference. Plus I don’t bench anymore and I think that has taken a lot of strain off.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
I found that doing 50 shoulder dislocates a day has made a tremendous difference. Plus I don’t bench anymore and I think that has taken a lot of strain off.[/quote]

yeah i do a ton of stuff to warm up my shoulders, band pull aparts are key. I bench but only close grip

I’m working on being able to skin the cat. I doubt I’ll ever pull it off on the rings but I’m hoping the improvement is in the process.

Just last night I hit an all time PR of 225x8 for STRICT OHP. Close but not quite! BW is ~230. Check my log!

Also, all my reps were dead stop. >:D

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
Just last night I hit an all time PR of 225x8 for STRICT OHP. Close but not quite! BW is ~230. Check my log!

Also, all my reps were dead stop. >:D[/quote]

strong work! that for sure makes it way harder!

Definetly a long-term goal for me, nothing beats OHP

Perhaps a bit OT, but most of you guys seem to be OHP badasses, so I figured Id ask anyway.
I have been doing 5/3/1 and it’s been working well (on a break now, but will start up again), except for the OHP.
I came to the point where even a 2.5kg ( ca 5 pound) increase per month is just too much.
Should I stick to the program as stated, and try to get a hold of smaller weights for micro-loading, or would I be better of considering
another program with regards to OHP?

[quote]Wesmar wrote:
Perhaps a bit OT, but most of you guys seem to be OHP badasses, so I figured Id ask anyway.
I have been doing 5/3/1 and it’s been working well (on a break now, but will start up again), except for the OHP.
I came to the point where even a 2.5kg ( ca 5 pound) increase per month is just too much.
Should I stick to the program as stated, and try to get a hold of smaller weights for micro-loading, or would I be better of considering
another program with regards to OHP?

[/quote]

You need to vary your exercises a bit more. try push presses once strict OHP stalls. guarantee if you’ve been doing 5/3/1 for awhile you need more direct upper back and rear delt work too.

I did 4 sets of 10 with 145lbs (a 5th set with 147 was a miss) on the swiss bar today after heavy weighted push-ups. Not near where I need to be but I’m making steady progress. Taking a few years off is like starting from point one again.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
I did 4 sets of 10 with 145lbs (a 5th set with 147 was a miss) on the swiss bar today after heavy weighted push-ups. Not near where I need to be but I’m making steady progress. Taking a few years off is like starting from point one again.[/quote]

It will come back quick. I was push pressing 205x2 after hernia surgery in November, took awhile to recovery but back to all time bests now

5 sets of 5 with 150lbs on the swiss bar. Not bad considering I’m OHPing 5 days a week right now. My estimated max is 200 and I weigh about 210 so I can look at this as I have 9 reps to go.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
5 sets of 5 with 150lbs on the swiss bar. Not bad considering I’m OHPing 5 days a week right now. My estimated max is 200 and I weigh about 210 so I can look at this as I have 9 reps to go.[/quote]

Nice! 5 days a week?!

I missed a 270 log at a strongman comp this weekend that pissed me off, going to do a ton of volume with shoulders tonight, keep it light… hate resting