Strict Curl as a Competitive Lift

What’s everyones thought on strict curl as a competitive lift? I’ve noticed some folk online trying to bring it back into popularity. Seems like a good way to get injured but also looks like it would be fun!

1 Like

NASA already does this. It’s ok.

2 Likes

Honestly I feel it’s more risky than maximal deadlifts/squats/bench for injury but :man_shrugging:

Depends I suppose. There were a lot of old dudes at the meets I was at that were too beat up for squats and deads but could still do some curls. But me worrying about safety gets silly, haha.

2 Likes

I only watched the first vid, so I don’t know what’s actually in the second one. There’s a reason only NASA clings to the Strict Curl as a lift. It used to be common, a long time ago. But so was wrapping a tennis ball behind the knee for squats and wearing super tight jeans (Precursor to the squat suit), and short guys wearing platform shoes to Bench. It’s a “New” thing to throw out there that some of these gymrats have a shot at - because all they do is curls. Ivan barely got that 470 dead though, and there was zero chance he was going to get number two. He has a ways to go to be capable of 501 - in some feds he would get called for a hitch on that first rep. And Bud Jeffries is Bud. He’s been around doing this stuff for a very long time, but was never willing to show up anywhere and compete. I’ll admit it was impressive when he hit the 1000lb biottom up squat, but that backlift is is not anything. Half of the reps didn’t see air on both sides and the weight really isn’t huge for that lift.

Lol I now refer to my spotters as people that keep me “safe-ish” because let’s face it, i’m totally doing dumb shit haha

1 Like

Spotting geared lifters is scary IMO.

Would we have a geared strict curl? I am thinking something like a sling shot that goes over the shoulder and around the back of the neck, and attaches to the forearm.

2 Likes

It’s strict though so self limiting. Maybe if it was an anything goes curl lower body power would get weights up that would pop ur bicep but strict is much safer if u train for it at least a bit to condition the tissues

I think maybe it’s the other way around, people tear biceps on deadlifts when they start to bend their arm a bit, right near full extension is a vulnerable position.

1 Like