Stretching?

Does anyone know any good stretching routines that can be done like three times a week to develop practical flexibility for things like high roundhouses high push kicks and for manouvering on the ground? I really have no idea about different theorys about stretching so if anyone has any info. it would be a lot of help.

Also if anyone knows stretches to help get lower on squats and deadlifts that would be helpful.

courtesy of JonnyTMT:

http://stadion.com/column.html

GReat thanks for that. So basically just summing up what that guy beleives. Is that I should to dynamic sport specific stretching such as leg raises twice a day to help me with flexiblity for my sport?

How about you start actually stretching 20-30 minutes a day, every day, and then fine tune from there?

you need diff. types of flex. for being good a jj and being able to kick high…the muscles you feel when doing splits will help high kicks…for jj you need hip mobility

no… to really sum it up.

warmup with dynamic stretches, the type hurdlers and high jumpers do basically.

in a stretching session every day do those to warm yourself up and lubricate your joints them do a short session of static stretching.

OK Thanks.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
How about you start actually stretching 20-30 minutes a day, every day, and then fine tune from there?[/quote]

Yep. This is what I’ve been doing and have noticed a marked improvement in my flexibility.

Everything you need to know is in the book:
“Stretching Scientifically” by Thomas Kurz M.Sc.
In the cover the guy is doing the splitz in two chairs, a la Vandame. Thanks to this book, I can do the same, but not so well.
Hope it helps, good training :slight_smile: