Stretching to Squat Properly

My hamstrings, hip flexors, and glutes are tight to the point where I have trouble squatting properly. I stretch religiously for several weeks straight but then something happens a long the way where I miss 3-4 days and I feel like I am back to square one. Anybody else have this problem?

[quote]Cronus wrote:
My hamstrings, hip flexors, and glutes are tight to the point where I have trouble squatting properly. I stretch religiously for several weeks straight but then something happens a long the way where I miss 3-4 days and I feel like I am back to square one. Anybody else have this problem?[/quote]

I begin every leg session with foam rolling for several minutes, top to bottom, inner to outer, followed by several minutes of stretching. I consider this a part of my routine and necessary.

do 3-5 sets of 10 with the bar? Works for me if im feeling tight.

On calaforniastrength (glenn pendlay’s site) hes got a decent lower body stretching video, fucking sweet!

With the release of his new book Show and Go, Eric Cressey did a promotional video on warming up for the squat and squat technique. If it is still available you should check out those videos.

Also a couple of years ago Dan John did a squat technique seminar that mostly covered techniques on how to get better ROM on the squat. It’s a long video, but very good to watch. It was filmed by the Fitcast podcast and is either found on google video or the fitcast website.

I will definitely check those out Chiron and Diluted.

Akuma - Assuming you train your legs every 4-8 days, do you think the mobility/flexibility work you do has any carryover to your next workout, being days apart?

[quote]Cronus wrote:
I will definitely check those out Chiron and Diluted.

Akuma - Assuming you train your legs every 4-8 days, do you think the mobility/flexibility work you do has any carryover to your next workout, being days apart? [/quote]

Yes, but that doesnt make it any less important. Foam rolling can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues. its especially important with heavier squatters because it can also help break down scar tissue, which develops through constant breaking of muscle fibers(working out). Basically, foam rolling and stretching are constant for me BECAUSE it enables me to keep pushing harder, and coming back stronger. If people walk into a gym, set their shit down, and start loading weight onto a squat rack, they are asking to tear something.

Thanks Akuma. Usually i do a dynamic warmup, static stretch my hips, glutes, calves, and hams, do my leg workout, and then before I leave, foam roll and static stretch again. I think I will add foam rolling to my pre-workout routine.

typically, i do four warmup sets and then get after that shit. if i stretch, i do it after squatting…never before.

I warm up with the bar to get the groove down, if I notice something is off I’ll take care of it before continuing. Lots of times its tight hammies so I’ll go and do a couple of sets of leg curls (LIGHT, 12-15 reps, not to failure at all) just to get some blood moving in them. Makes it easier to stretch them IMO.

Foam rolling and stretching are staples in my pre squatting routine. I also do stretching/mobility exercises through 2-3 light sets to make sure I’m ready.

I definitely spend more time preparing to squat than actually squatting, but at my height (6’4), it’s the only way I’ve been able to maintain the ROM I’m looking for.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
typically, i do four warmup sets and then get after that shit. if i stretch, i do it after squatting…never before. [/quote]

This is my preferred way of approaching lifting in general. It seems that stretching makes me weaker if I do it before a set.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

typically, i do four warmup sets and then get after that shit. if i stretch, i do it after squatting…never before. [/quote]

This is my preferred way of approaching lifting in general. It seems that stretching makes me weaker if I do it before a set.[/quote]

I know there is a lot of evidence suggesting that static stretching pre-workout makes you weaker, and I believe it, but I can absolutely not squat with anywhere near good form if I don’t stretch out my hips, groin, and hams intensely. Hopefully in the near future i will have enough permanent flexibility to do a lighter warmup.

x2

[quote]Diluted56 wrote:
On calaforniastrength (glenn pendlay’s site) hes got a decent lower body stretching video, fucking sweet![/quote]

Wait so its a ‘decent video’ but its also ‘fucking sweet’??? How is that possible!?! lol

But on a serious note… I will always stretch (more of a dynamic stretch) foam roll and do some hip mobility stuff before I do lower body workouts. It helps wit my tight hips.

Then I’ll make sure and do a set with the bar, a set with 135 (maybe two sets) and then one more warm up set with 185… just to get the blood flowing and get in the grove for my squatting.

I’ve been avoiding the squat because of the intense lower back pain it creates for me the next day. I don’t think flexibility has anything to do with it since I can easily go below vertical with light weight. I’ve had a couple of trainers watch me squat and they cannot see me doing anything wrong. Has anyone else experienced this kind of restriction and how did you overcome it? I know this is holding me back from achieving the gains I want to make. Aside from this aggravating issue I have no other joint or pain issues to speak of but I can barely roll out of bed the next day due to lower back pain after I squat. Any advice would be appreciated.

I really like the “3rd world squat” for improving lower body flexibility. Try doing 60 second holds of that a few times everyday in addition to whatever else you’re doing working on getting your back straighter and straighter every time you do it. Worked wonders for me/my clients/workout partners.

Kingbeef - can you elaborate on “3rd world squat?” I’ve never heard of it.

[quote]comtech123 wrote:
I’ve been avoiding the squat because of the intense lower back pain it creates for me the next day. I don’t think flexibility has anything to do with it since I can easily go below vertical with light weight. I’ve had a couple of trainers watch me squat and they cannot see me doing anything wrong. Has anyone else experienced this kind of restriction and how did you overcome it? I know this is holding me back from achieving the gains I want to make. Aside from this aggravating issue I have no other joint or pain issues to speak of but I can barely roll out of bed the next day due to lower back pain after I squat. Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]
Post a video.

[quote]Cronus wrote:
Kingbeef - can you elaborate on “3rd world squat?” I’ve never heard of it. [/quote]