T Nation

Stretching the Hip Adductors Muscles?

(I think the inside of the leg muscles are the adductors, not the abductors, so thats what I am refering to, the inside of the leg) I’ve been trying to improve my squat form recently, and it has come to my attention that my hip adductors are extremely tight. Whenever I squat, I cannot go to parallel because my adductors are so tight. Does anyone know a good stretch for them? I’ve tried the butterfly stretch, but after doing that for a while it didn’t seem to help any.

I’m sure my hamstrings are somewhat tight, but I know my adductors are extremely tight and need to be addressed before I start squating again. So it looks like I won’t be lifting weights for a few weeks while I stretch my muscles.

[quote]fisch wrote:
(I think the inside of the leg muscles are the adductors, not the abductors, so thats what I am refering to, the inside of the leg) I’ve been trying to improve my squat form recently, and it has come to my attention that my hip adductors are extremely tight.

Whenever I squat, I cannot go to parallel because my adductors are so tight. Does anyone know a good stretch for them? I’ve tried the butterfly stretch, but after doing that for a while it didn’t seem to help any.

I’m sure my hamstrings are somewhat tight, but I know my adductors are extremely tight and need to be addressed before I start squating again. So it looks like I won’t be lifting weights for a few weeks while I stretch my muscles.[/quote]

you shouldn’t quit squating until you work this out. Just hit a depth where you heels stay on the ground and your back stays neutral. If going lower sacrifices form, stay high for a bit.

And if you can’t hit depth there might be a ton of things going on. Check out ankle mobility.

Try hitting some of these up before you squat:

EDIT: also you can get better by squating more. Practice practice practice. Stand up every 10 mins your at the computer and hit a set of BW squats. Do the 3rd world squat thing and practice just sitting down in the hole.

Can you front squat to depth with out problems?

You could try a frog stretch. Below is one way:
Stand with your feet about 18-24 inches apart (a little wider than shoulder width) and squat down as low as you can while keeping your heels on the floor. Press your elbows against the knees to increase the stretch in your hips and inner thighs. If you have trouble keeping your heels on the floor, you can use a plate or 2x4 under the heels but ONLY until you have increased your flexibility to the point where you can keep your heels flat. Keep your torso as upright as possible.

Also, even though I know most hate yoga here, I found the triangle pose helpful for stretching the inner thigh area.

I’m pretty sure the main thing right now thats stopping me from hitting parallel is adductor tightness. Like when I squat I feel a massive tightness in the adductors, but not anywhere else. No, I cannot front squat without problems (at least not barefoot, but im pretty sure a heel would only slightly help). I probably need some ankle flexibility also.

I cannot BW squat right now to parallel, which is why I feel it is better to avoid weights for a while so I can get my body flexibile enough to safely perform weight training. Maybe this is the wrong approach?

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
You could try a frog stretch. Below is one way:
Stand with your feet about 18-24 inches apart (a little wider than shoulder width) and squat down as low as you can while keeping your heels on the floor. Press your elbows against the knees to increase the stretch in your hips and inner thighs. If you have trouble keeping your heels on the floor, you can use a plate or 2x4 under the heels but ONLY until you have increased your flexibility to the point where you can keep your heels flat. Keep your torso as upright as possible.

Also, even though I know most hate yoga here, I found the triangle pose helpful for stretching the inner thigh area.[/quote]

that sounds a lot like the stretch Mark Rippitoe advises in Starting Strength. I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

You might want to give some of those a watch, he gives a lot suggestions.