Stretching is Bad? NY Times Article

Researchers now believe that some of the more entrenched elements of many athletes? warm-up regimens are not only a waste of time but actually bad for you. The old presumption that holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds ? known as static stretching ? primes muscles for a workout is dead wrong. It actually weakens them

i have always believed that it was a bad idea to stretch pre-workout…

…this isn’t new… I’ve known this for a while, static stretching makes you weaker pre-workout. Dynamic stretching would be more appropriate.

Knew this wayyy before the article

Robertson and Cressey have been talking about this for years now. They’ve got DVDs of dynamic stretching and mobility for athletes for sale in the T-Nation store, and on their own sites as well I’m sure.

Yeah, this is true. It also inhibits the stretch reflex wich means less power on max lifts. This DOES NOT however mean that static stretching is for maintaining flexibility is bad or useless. Just dont do it before you lift heavy stuff or before sport.

This is very true, and probably known and touted by many of T-Nation’s brethren

static stretching pre workout primes you for injury

post workout static stretching is a-ok however

dynamic stretching for short periods, not a bad thing pre workout

Joe Defranco’s been saying this forever

Ya this is not shocker and has been around for a long time now. Actually, EC blogged about this very article today.

http://ericcressey.blogspot.com/