T Nation

Stretching for splits

Does anyone have tips or advice for a girl trying to gain flexibility in the splits arena? This applies especially for the middle splits. I am interested in doing fitness competitions but can’t even think about it until I get more flexible.
Thanks–Natalya

Get a copy of “Relax into Stretching” or “Beyond Stretching” by Pavel Tsatsouline. A few of his ideas are a little screwy, but for the most part he offers some pretty good techniques for gaining flexibility quickly.

Check out stretching books by Pavel Tsatsouline and Matt Furey.

Natalya: I apologize in advance to you–and others–for making an irrelevant post to the topic at hand.

However, I just wanted to mention that you have a very beautiful name. I recently heard that Kobe Bryant named his daughter Natalya, and I was basically mesmerized by the name. It’s beautiful. I digress.

Hi
Go with Pavel’s method, it works for full splits. Keep your toes pointing up (this puts less stress on the knees), and ‘push the walls apart’ with your feet. When you reach the limit of your flexibilty tense up and breath shallow for a minute or two, then breath out in a sigh of releif and push your feet out out further. Check the position of your hips. Make sure your feet and hips are in line. Good luck
Al

Timbo: I concurr.

I’d just add that you can also check out Thom Kurtz book “Stretching Scientifically” by Stadion publishing as well. Good luck, all the details are covered between Tsatsouline and Kurtz.

Another vote for Kurz’ book, which is excellent.

Thanks all for the advice. I will get books from those two authors and check them out. Let you know how it goes!

1)Breathing is the most important part.

Take yourself to the point where you naturally need to take in a deep breath.
Hold
Release and take it a little deeper.
But try to use your breath to increase the stretch.

2)There is nothing like a deep Glute massage to open up your hip flexors!

If you are quite stiff
To start…
Try stretching in a hot tub or sauna to increase you ability to relax…Best after your body has warmed up with Cardio. Say 10min of cardio, stop stretch, 10 more min, stop stretch, you will be amazed at how fast you will respond.
Be patient with your self it will come.
One more thing, while holding the stretch use one hand and massage the area that is resisting release. i.e. hip flexor, glute, hamstrings.
This will increase mind muscle nerve connection.
Hope that helps :0)
Eva~

I thought I saw a rule posted somewhere saying that t-vixens weren’t allowed to ask questions on the forum until posting some pics for us all to gaze upon. Just me?

GaryE: This is true. But with a name like Natalya we’ve go to make an exception. Man, I want to have a daughter, just so I can namer her Natalya.

I was actually going to request various stretching poses from Ms. N in return for the advice… but then I thought that it would be crass.

However, in light of the above opinions, how 'bout it? :slight_smile: