Stretching for Bodybuilding?

For bodybuilding purposes, do you recommend we do it or no? Do you and your athletes do it on a regular basis?

I remember you saying a while back how static stretching can affect strength and recovery. But then I see Kevin Levrone stretching his legs before heavy squats and recommending we do the same, I see how flexible Ronnie Coleman was (or still is), and I read an article saying how stretching allows you to recruit new muscle fibers allowing for better growth.

Confused. Thanks for your time CT!

Sorry I guess I should have posted this is the “New(est) Training Questions” thread.

My physical therapist highly recommended streatching… especially in the chest area. made it a part of my shoulder therapy (My pec muscles were pulling my shoulder forward causing an impingment). In order to maintain my back/chest balance I have to do two back exercises for every chest. (Mind you I’m not a power lifter my any means).

it decreases your strength output by 10% and increases the safety of your muscles by 30% thes r rough figures. but strechin is a gud thing do it. its disadvantages are outweighted by positives

Hey Coach,

As long as this thread is here (and sorry if this has been asked before), what are your thoughts on “extreme” stretching (such as that found in Doggcrapp training) in order to facilitate greater muscular growth? Have you or your clients had any success with these methods?

Thanks for your time.

I could not live without stretching and massaging my muscles when they get sore. One of my favorite parts of getting stronger.

[quote]Zohaib wrote:
it decreases your strength output by 10% and increases the safety of your muscles by 30% thes r rough figures. but strechin is a gud thing do it. its disadvantages are outweighted by positives[/quote]

That strength and power output is only immediately following the stretch, if a proper specific dynamic warm up is used it won’t be a problem. All those studies showing decreased power output have subjects do a static stretch then immediately do a vertical jump, how realistic or applicable is that? Studies that static stretch followed by a dynamic warm up do not show that decrease in performance.

I never stretch before workout… dont like it,
But as a dc trainer, i do stretch after, extreme stretching, and i have the feeling it makes a difference.
together with the fst-7 I believe it is a way to overcome sticking points in the growth of stuborn muscle.