Stretching During Workouts

What kind of stretches are you into?

I am curious about loaded stretches. Having always done flexibility stretches after my workouts, and felt reassured this was good after reading it in the Fortitude Training book (appearantly taken from DC-training).

I first heard about the possible importance of stretches directly after a set in the mid 90-ties, by earlier pro bodybuilder Lance Gille. Meaning that the stretch gave the muscle room to grow in the muscle sheath, making comparisons to a banana for some reason (LOL). I wonder where he got this tip from, since it sounds a bit prehistoric?

Does anyone here know the origin of such claims? Interworkout stretches seem to hold some merit.

1 Like

John Parrillo was the first guy I recall advocating this back in the day because it stretched the fascia. Poliquin appeared to endorse this too for the same reason. I believe since then there has been more evidence-based material that has come to light suggesting additional growth pathways, e.g. enhanced mTOR and IGF-1 response, occlusion effect, etc. I incorporate them as part of DC training and I believe it is primarily responsible for the level of DOMS I subsequently experience.

4 Likes

Loaded stretching works for hypertrophy

A loaded stretch is basically just an isometric contraction at the lengthened position of a muscle. This has been shown to result in strength gains across the full range of motion of the muscle, and it stimulates hypertrophy via muscle damage

4 Likes

Do you have any knowledge on “loading” parameters? Would it be similar to the basic info regarding TUT for hypertrophy?

To my knowledge, there aren’t strong recommendations for load, as long as the set is subjectively challenging.Time per stretch has mostly been researched in the 0-60s bracket. Within this bracket:

• 2-7s is best for strength.
  • 15-45s is good for hypertrophy
  • 30-60s is good for improving tendon thickness (if managing tendinopathy, for example)

Of course, there is a lot of grey area between these zones.

Also, just because this is the bracket that has recieved the most research, doesn’t necessarily mean it is the be-all and end-all. There are many great coaches such as Cal Dietz, Joel Smith, Tommy John, Jay Schroeder and Grant Fowler who routinely do loaded stretches for 3-5 minutes. They often cite hypertrophy; improved local muscular endurance and lactate buffering; increased range of motion; improved recovery and mental “sharpness” as major adaptations from such training. I’ve tried it. It’s unbelievably brutal.

Finally, it’s important to differentiate adaptations between overcoming and yielding isometrics. An overcoming isometric is one where you push against an immovable object, whereas a yielding isometric is holding a constant load in a static position. From a nervous system standpoint, there is evidence to suggest that an overcoming isometric is more “concentric,” whilst a yielding isometric is more “eccentric”. Overcoming isometrics are a little bit safer at higher outputs because there is no risk of a weight “crushing” you. Yielding isometrics are better for longer durations because they do not allow your force output to drop as you fatigue (lest you drop the weight). Thus, the “strength” isometrics are best done in an overcoming fashion, the 15-60s isometrics could be done in either fashion and the very long isometrics are best done in a yielding fashion.

3 Likes

What?!

2 Likes

Yep, although it’s usually bodyweight-only. Hangs, push-ups, dips and lunges are common

1 Like

I’m using bands a lot more for loaded stretching and noted a significant increase in DOMS compared to free weights. For example, for chest, I anchor bands to the wall to create a cable crossover setup. I take a seat, let the bands pull my arms back and slightly up, and enjoy the pain. You then lean forward to Increase the tension as you get more into the stretch. Similarly, for shoulders, I create a handcuff effect, both hands behind the back, band pulling them upwards while I sit, cursing police brutality! I do something of the reverse with a low anchor point for an overhead triceps stretch in the bottom position.

That said, for lats, nothing beats a hang stretch, for quads, the sissy squat stretch.

2 Likes

I don’t know a ton about it but I am not afraid of static stretching inbetween sets as a means to relax a muscle and increase range of motion. I know static stretches seem old-school but for me there’s a sweet spot at 1-2 minutes where all of a sudden the muscle will relax, and I know the stretch is over with.

Holding the bottom of a pushup for that duration helped my shoulder out quite a bit

“Old school” doesn’t have to mean “incorrect”, fortunately. Unfortunately, people seem to have forgotten that.

People discount stretching stretching for it’s injury prevention capabilities now, but as @j4gga2 mentioned, at it’s simplest stretching (especially under some load) is just an isometric contraction. And those have been used in rehab for ages.

And on the relaxation part, in his book “Relax Into Stretch” (aptly named), Pavel talks about how to really reap the benefits of a stretch, relaxation is key. If you’re too tense, you’re not going achieve much ROM at all.

2 Likes

I know that I can be a bit lazy on this but I do a few basic stretches after my workout. It seems to help calm me down and increase blood flow to my muscles. I’m not 100% sure if it makes a difference because I’ve read studies on both sides. I can tell there’s a difference so I do like to stretch. Resistance training, bodybuilding, and strength training for me is more of an art than a science. I think most would benefit from thinking about it that way.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread as I am in need of more variations on loaded stretches. I know Dr Stevenson had a template on his website, but for some reason I can’t access it.

Do you know any good online sources for loaded stretches? I’ve seen some examples, but I lack the coherence in many cases.

Loaded Stretches: The Ultimate Guide! by Dr. Mike Jensen on revolutionaryprogramdesign .com is an exception.

A shout out to @davemccright and @flappinit for experience.

Edit: Not much on this subject on T-nation either. Christian Thibaudeau have written some interesting articles, but without examples.

1 Like

Which muscles do you want variations for?

I see examples for pecs, lats, biceps, triceps, delts, quads, and hams in this article: Stretch With Weights to Build Muscle - Bigger Stronger Leaner - COMMUNITY - T NATION

This is another article with examples of loaded stretches paired with antagonist training: Tip: The Stretch That Accelerates Gains

Tracking down info from Doggcrapp/DC training should also put you on the trail of more loaded stretched since they play a huge role, no pun intended, in that program.

1 Like

My go to movements:

• Chest - band crucifix stretch. Two bands secured around chest height (or higher) several meters apart. I attach handles but looping the band around the wrist may be more comfortable. Walk, or kneel, until tension kicks in. Edge out, lean forward, etc, as you increase the intensity of the stretch over 60-90s. You should feel the stretch on the pecs only.

• Shoulders - I prefer the DC method. Bar (or piece of timber, etc) on a rack behind you. Usually seated, arms straight out behind your back, palms up. Raise chest to increase the intensity of the stretch over 60-90s. I also use martial arts forearm guards so there is no distraction from local pain where your forearms are against the bar/wood. Band handcuff is my 2nd choice.

• Biceps - identical to above but keep palms down this time (forearm pads against useful here). A Maltese style stretch on a low incline bench using light DBs is also a great move.

• Triceps - lying lengthways on a bench with head protruding over the edge, use a moderate weight DB and get into the stretch position, elbows at right angles as if at bottom of a French press. I keeps hands semi-pronated (grabbing the bell plates) with elbows close to my ears. This is one where you contract hard a bit like an isometric and fight the weight from touching the floor. I can easily have mild DOMS for 2-3 days after one set of DC skull crushers and one stretch with these!

1 Like