T Nation

Stretching and Flexibility

i have been reading a lot on the importance of stretching and flexibility, and have decided to think about drawing myself up a stretching program. having little knowledge on this topic i am wondering if it is as simple as choosing each major muscle group and stretching and holding for around 30seconds.

is it as easy as doing 2 sets around every muscle group?

or am i missing a few major details that could boost my flexibility!

help would be appreciated!

thanks

Search for Waterbury summer project. There is reference there to a stretching program.

I severly strained my hip flexor last November (very painful in case you were wondering), and the Physical Therapist got me on a stretching program. I did about 10 different stretches, each stretch 5 sets of 10 seconds, 3 times a day.

Yeah it took a lot of my time, but im a lot more flexible now, though for the life of me I can’t do a decent butterfly stretch. I don’t know why, but that stretch will not improve, it’s annoying.

I would recommend stretching your muscles 2 sets for 20 seconds, once in the morning, then once in the evening if you can. Look into foam rolling also, thats something I just got interested in.

thanks for the tips guys