Stretching and Building Muscle?

I’m sorry if there’s already a post that has anything to do with this but I can’t find it so I must ask. Does streching have and positive/negative effects on building muscle?

I would assume that it is a good thing to stay flexible but some of my peers disagree.

It’s highly recommended to stretch the muscles you’ve worked out once you’re done.

It promotes faster recovery and blood flow to the muscle.

I’ve seen a massive improvement in my flexibility and recovery by stretching the muscles I just worked right after working them, rather than waiting until later.

It doesn’t have to be anything too extreme, just your basic stretches done the moment you drop the barbell.

yeah stretching is kinda important…

just kinda

Just make sure to strength AFTER you lift not before. Stretching (static) has a neurologically relaxing effect on the muscles that reduces your ability to lift heavy for up to ten minutes or more. So after your workout, never before.

Does anybody have a link that shows good stretches for every body part? I can never get a good stretch in my back and shoulders.

Can reduce dpeed of recovery, CT has written on this.

Yeah I’ve heard CT say that he never recommends post-workout stretching.

[quote]Arnoldrocks wrote:
It’s highly recommended to stretch the muscles you’ve worked out once you’re done.

It promotes faster recovery and blood flow to the muscle.[/quote]

i agree, although CT downplays stretching, before, or after.

i see nothing but good things coming from stretching. its the next best thing to do after a heavy workout, next to myofascial release.

Sorry, cant see how stretching after can be detrimental.

I have felt less muscle soreness since doing stretching after a workout. Not to mention that it’s a pretty relaxing 5-10 minutes.

dynamic good
static bad

eg. for shoulder day do lots of arm circles

i remember the first time i did stiff leg deadlifts and didnt bother stretching my hamstrings after i was finished, next day was agony so a stretching is a must for me, besides u can never be to flexible :smiley:

Yea don’t stretch before, just warm up with weights.

Dynamic stretching is ok before though, just not static as you can lose power.

I don’t think CT thinks its bad, I’m pretty sure he thinks its a waste of time to stretch after, but every coach has their own opinion on stretching it seems.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
dynamic good
static bad

eg. for shoulder day do lots of arm circles[/quote]

how is static stretching bad?

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
dynamic good
static bad

[/quote]

1. Reduce power output

For others search, make your own mind up.

static stretching pre workout is bad…any other time it is fine

p.s. theres been research supporting that stretching of the fascia can promote hypertrophy within the fascia. i am not able to search for journals reflecting this now, but if you can, do. the reports are out there

not saying stretching is as important as lifting to gaining muscle, but it is definitely good for mobility and may be good for strengthening of connective tissue and fascia hypertrophy.

do it. not before you lift.

[quote]plateau wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
dynamic good
static bad

1. Reduce power output

For others search, make your own mind up.[/quote]

whos ass did u pull that out of

get Scentific Stretching by Tom Kurz for the best thing I have read on stretching.

For the upper back and shoulders, a good stretch is to grab a broom handle overhead as if you have just snatched it. Now stretch your hands back and down and pull your hands apart.

Return to the start position, move your hands out an inch on the broom handle and repeat.

There is another stretch where you hold the broom handle in front of you with an alternated grip now circle the broom handle with the palm up hand going over the palm down hand until you have turned the broom handle 180 degrees, tighten everything, return to the start position, move your hands in an inch and repeat. (harder to explain this one without pictures)

Dynamic stretching like that in Magnificent Mobility is good. “Extreme Stretching” like that in Dog Crap training can help build muscle fast. Regular stretching after a workout or on off days is helpful.