Stretch Shortening Cycle Theory

I am noticing their is alot of reference to and manipulation of the SSC in the development of explosive movement in sports. Now in some situations it make perfect sense, for example training vertical jump for a basketball player, as they will be able to take full advantage of the prestretch, but I also see it used for increasing punching power, ( I have always been taught not to windup punches). Given this I would assume that training arm extention, with the concentric movment as fast as possible and dissipating the SSC would have the greatest carry over.

So instead of starting isoballistic pushups from the top position with your arms straight, start from the bottom with your chest touching the ground hold this position for 2-4 secs to eliminate the prestretch.

Comments

[quote]Kagemusha wrote:So instead of starting isoballistic pushups from the top position with your arms straight, start from the bottom with your chest touching the ground hold this position for 2-4 secs to eliminate the prestretch.

Comments[/quote]

IMO simple answer YES!!! same reason DE movements are used etc to create speed and starting strength without the use of the SSC. Will train you neurally to recruit more of the fibers you have access to.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:So instead of starting isoballistic pushups from the top position with your arms straight, start from the bottom with your chest touching the ground hold this position for 2-4 secs to eliminate the prestretch.

Comments

IMO simple answer YES!!! same reason DE movements are used etc to create speed and starting strength without the use of the SSC. Will train you neurally to recruit more of the fibers you have access to.

[/quote]

Yep,the SSC can be used but that’s only when applicable(O-lifts).Not utilizing the SSC will,like Phil said,help us to recruit more motor units and train true starting-speed

How long/How many sets and reps…would that method be used for?
After doing the main exercise (whterht it be the DE bench…or the ballistic pushups and such…woudl you just do yourregular assistance work after it?

Over-Speed eccentrics utilize the SSC heavily, but, they also allow you to recruit more MU’s than normal. Is there never a counter movement within punching? Do you try to “muscle through” a punch? You could probably do both, as in utilize the SSC within your training, and purposfully omit it with better results than focsuing on just one. Although I wouldn’t train both within the same session.

Cheers,
Pat

Iso-ballistics can also be done with lighter implements.

For lighter weights to be overcome, strength is less a factor than rate, coordination, and relaxation… for many iso-ballistic pushups are much closer to a strength-speed movement than a speed strength movement…

The only issue with lighter implements is that they mess with the recruitment patterns a bit…

In my experience, the exercises closest to the activity on the force curve have the best carryover… but must be supported by a solid base of work further away from the activity…

So acceleration is initially a strength speed, then a speed-strength dominant activity, and finally top speed is speed strength and rate dominant. In this way acceleration is supported very heavily by relative strength work, strength-speed, and speed strength work in the PF region… but top speed is more influenced by speed-strength and rate work…

Since the fist and arm don’t have to be overcome, like your torso weight does when accelerating, strength is much less a factor.

In fact, I might NEVER prescribe any pressing with a deceleration at the end for a boxer, but rely instead on iso-ballistic type push-ups initially, then by bungee type work, and projectile work with lighter implements.

The OSP eccentric work might also help quite a bit depending on the athlete’s needs, so that was a great suggestion. Catching DB’s is another method for improving force absorption at the end of the motion.

I know many UFC guys press quite a bit, and this isn’t a bad thing since they require duration work for their sport… but generally, they are NOT top boxers… the duration work slows their ability to fire instantly and relax just as quickly…

Just my .02

J