Stress & Lifting

Well the past week and a half I have been under some really bad stress, so much so that it was giving me real bad headaches and pain in my neck,arms, and chest. I know that lifting can help relieve that stress but when I was lifting I couldn’t lift nearly as much as normal. Should I still do my workouts but with less weight or should I wait until I’m less stressed?? This is all work related stress which sucks… Also when in situations like this what do you do to help relieve the stress, I really need some suggestions cause I can’t take it anymore!!!

Thats a tough call. Sometimes when I’m over stressed the weights are my only saving grace. Other times it’s about dropping the weights for a few weeks until whatever situation that is aggravating me is dealt with.

One thing I’ve noticed with my own self- Work stress/aggravation = good lifting.
Personal life stress/aggravation = distracted lifting, more frustration.

Everybody is different though.

Good Luck.

You need to find some balance. Stress is not caused by a busy schedule or something. Stress is mostly caused by factors that you don’t have any influence on but that affect you.
A demanding but competent boss is less stressfull than a mad fool who comes up with rediculous demands at the most akward moments.

I would continue with the workouts, because they take your mind of the stress you experience in your work. I wouldn’t make them to hard though, so use less weight. Workouts induce stress after all, and it sounds like you have plenty atm.

Also, don’t wait untill you’re less stressed. You need a plan that will put you in a less stressfull situation. I decided a couple of years ago to take a more fuck 'm all approach to stress at work and life in general.

Good luck.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
You need to find some balance. Stress is not caused by a busy schedule or something. Stress is mostly caused by factors that you don’t have any influence on but that affect you.
A demanding but competent boss is less stressfull than a mad fool who comes up with rediculous demands at the most akward moments.

I would continue with the workouts, because they take your mind of the stress you experience in your work. I wouldn’t make them to hard though, so use less weight. Workouts induce stress after all, and it sounds like you have plenty atm.

Also, don’t wait untill you’re less stressed. You need a plan that will put you in a less stressfull situation. I decided a couple of years ago to take a more fuck 'm all approach to stress at work and life in general.

Good luck.[/quote]

I have to say that’s some solid advice, I will continue with my workouts and deal with the stress accordingly. And it wasn’t my boss, he really made things easier but the audits I had conducted (high level government shit) really had me stressin, its over but the demand and stress load was way overwhelming. Now where did I put that PWO???

I have found that continued lifting during stressful periods lowers my overall stress.
For example: i am nearing the end of my semester at school, while being promoted at work. really (really really) stressed right now.

I have continued lifting weights (i find morning workouts help set the “tone” of the day), only reducing the weight when i am at risk of an injury. If it feels shitty, or i feel weak, i work through it. If i am so weak my form is really slipping, then i lower the weight by the absolute minimum, in order to continue working.

HOWEVER!
although it doesnt fit into my program, i have found going for very long runs outside, extremely beneficial for unbearable stress. Take that half hour as soon as you finish work, and go pound that pavement as hard, as long, and as fast as you can. I cant explain why, but i find it provides a different kind of relief. Biking doesnt do it, rollerblading, or walking neither. I think its the rythmic pounding of your feet against the ground… its allows your mind to go into “autopilot”.

Try it?
its worth the half hour.