I have had problems with anxiety for as long as I can remember for a myriad of reasons. However certain symptoms have really helped put elements of my life including training on hold for a long time and are really affecting my health.
Things have gotten substantially worse since I left university and began teaching (I know, stressful job) but numerous things can set me off. I am writing here in case someone might have had some similar experience or knowledge that could possibly help me out. I have looked on these forums a lot in the past and there seems to be a wealth of high end knowledge on here.
Diet 80% Paleo with about 200g of carbs per day
- hairline receding only on one side of my brow (no one on either side of my family has had this in over 5 generations)
- feeling very cold regardless of what I am wearing
- hot flushes
- running nose
- chesty coughing
- panic attacks
- staying up all night
- racing heart
- constantly thirsty]
- going to the toilet lots with runny tummy
- swollen stomach
- food sitting in stomach (thrown up and found greens from the morning’s breakfast but I take digestive enzymes)
- waking up throughout the night
- too many refined carbohydrates
- working out (or anything that can raise my pulse from a stressful scene in a film, a social confrontation or extended video game playing)
- vomiting (naturally or forcing myself)
- walking around all night until collapsing from exhaustion (or not if I have work the next day I just go)
- various supplements (worked to varying degrees and sometimes not at all)
- vitamin c + taurine + msm + Inositol
- L-Theanine + Valerian Root + Phosphatidylserine + Calcium D-Glucarate + Milk Thistle + Holy Basil
- Travelling in a car
- Korean Ginseng + Rhodiola Complex + Licorice root + ZMA + Vitamin C + MSM + 5HTP + L-Tryptophan + Ashwagandha
- Smoking a weed only joint whilst on holiday in Amsterdam
As you can see I have tried a lot of things via reading, experimentation and money. If I am honest I just want some more guidance because it at one point ruined my sleep with all the things you can imagine that can go with that. I took a preworkout today to do some exercise and it’s played havoc with me. I used to use it all the time before judo or training in powerlifting but just two scoops to do some work and 7 hours later at 12pm I can’t sleep and it’s all $%^&ed again. Yup, I’ll be avoiding all caffeine but I hate how for 2 years my life has been put on hold. Trying to get back into things again and it all exasperating the symptoms of anxiety. I listed my solutions in chronological order but I feel like I am dependant on the second to last one with all the adaptogenic herbs. I managed to sleep without them twice but it was rubbish sleep waking up tons and tons.
It makes me scared to try things out in case my adrenal glands get this stupid snow ball affect. That is the only way I can describe it, I do something that causes some sort of stimulation and it just goes nuts from there. In the last three weeks I’ve been comparatively great until the preworkout but my energy is still rubbish. Working out feels like I have been over training (not even close if it’s once or twice a week) as in extremely lathargic. I am a professional guitarist and it even affects me in this area for lethargy.
I have had blood tests from the doctor for coeliac and diabetes with both coming back negative. I don’t know what to do next really other than keep on taking the herbs, “take it easy” (or don’t even do) all the things I love… I really think this is a chemical issue where my adrenal glands and/or thyroid are basically $%^&ed from a mixture of stress, overwork, legal stimulants and tons of intense training. I’ve lost so much weight and the UK NHS and sports science dogma in the UK is 20 years behind what people are doing in the USA.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.