Strength without hypertrophy

Hey Joe,
Assuming my diet and conditioning are in line, how should I structure my lifting sessions to favor strength/power with minimal hypertrophy?
I’m interested in maintaining my weight within 5lbs in off season training for grappling/MMA.

Scrappy,

I feel that the most important factors with regards to keeping your weight down are nutrition/supplementation and your conditioning workouts. It seems like you already know that.

As far as your strength training sessions are concerned, stick with full body workouts or split your workouts into upper and lower body sessions. (DON’T use a bodybuilder-type split where you’re only doing 1 or 2 body parts a day and using a ton of volume.)

Keep your workouts short and sweet. For your main lift of the day, perform multiple sets of low reps. I would suggest incorporating both max-effort type movements and dynamic-effort type movements into your training. Generally speaking, after your main lift of the day is completed, you can perform 2 sets of 8-10 reps for the rest of your accessory movements to maintain the muscle that you already have.
Hope this helps.