T Nation

Strength Without Fat Gain?

Hi everyone,

I have just finished a short, but intense 4 week “cutting cycle” during which i was on a high fat, extremely low carb diet. I was able to drop some bodyfat, going from 225 to about 210 with some visible ab development. The only problem is my max strength levels took a dive.

Now I want to go on CW’s Strength Focused Mesocycle program. The only problem is figuring out what kind of diet to go on in order to maximize strength development, while minimizing any potential fat gain.

If anyone else has been on this program, please let me know your experience on it, if you were able to stay lean while on it and how?

I went on a modified ckd diet and got much stronger while leaning out, but i didn’t follow it exactly. I probably wasn’t in ketosis as much as was intended.

I was on a really wierd program though. 5x5 program I just threw together and constantly changed. I was also doing calisthenics, yoga, and HIIT, and playing pickup games of football once a week.

well simply maintain or slow down and your bound to keep a LOT more strength. 15lbs in 4 weeks when not OVER fat is a LOT to fats if your looking to stay strong and keep what youve earned.

also how were you lifting in that phase?? Now going into a strength phase couple that with a diet high in protein which I find MORE important during cutting and maintaining then a time of hypercaloric diet your likely to gain some strength back at least maintain if done smart

plenty of good protein varied sources, quality veggies, fruit etc things that stick with you. simply bump the protein, good fats and good carbs and tighten up on the not BAD but more simple carb sources usually can go a LONG way to goals like yours

Phill

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just finished a short, but intense 4 week “cutting cycle” during which i was on a high fat, extremely low carb diet. I was able to drop some bodyfat, going from 225 to about 210 with some visible ab development. The only problem is my max strength levels took a dive.

Now I want to go on CW’s Strength Focused Mesocycle program. The only problem is figuring out what kind of diet to go on in order to maximize strength development, while minimizing any potential fat gain.

If anyone else has been on this program, please let me know your experience on it, if you were able to stay lean while on it and how?[/quote]