T Nation

Strength Training

First post here! I've been lifting off and on for several years, but never very seriously. These last couple months I have started to be more disciplined and I wanted to post my current workout regimen for evaluation.

I'm shooting for strength primarily, I love rock climbing and other outdoor activity, and don't want to get huge.

Weighted pullups 3 sets x8
Seated low row 3 sets x10-12
Good mornings 3 x 10-12
Shrugs 3 x 10-12
EZ bar curls 3x10-12

Wed - Chest/Tris
Weighted Dips 3 x10-12
Flat dumbbell bench 3x10-12
Incline " " "
Cable Flys 3x10-12
Skull crushers/Rope extend/random tri lift 3x10-12

Fri - Legs/Shoulders
Front Squat 3x10-12
Barbell Lunge 3x10-12
Calf raise 3x10-12
Standing Barbell Military press 3x10-12
Lateral raise 3x10-12
Front raise 3x10-12

Tues/Thurs/Sat - Cardio - Jumprope/Jogging

Sun off

This is pretty much a workout developed from seeing other people lifting, or lifting with buddies who act like they know what they're doing. The lifts and rep range are just whats familiar to me.

Please comment or critique or give tips! Thanks!

Merely my humble opinion but 3x10-12 isn't going to do great things for strength gains 3x6-8 is generally accepted as better I think.

Thibs has a writeup on this in his beginner articles.

The other thing is I've generally found mixing large muscle groups with smaller muscle groups can be disadvantageous for strength gains, ie doing curls and then rows or vice versa means that because the first muscle group is fatigued from the first workout you can't fully target the second muscle group.

Agonist/Antagonist groupings for me, I think, in strength are a better coupling

Your rep range is geared more towards muscular gains and not strength. The rep range between 3-6 would help with your strength gains. I would take boyscout's advice and would try westside for skinny bastards. It helped my strength tremendously.

rep range is a bit too high for pure strength gains. putting it in the range of 5-8 will get you both strength and size. Second the advice to do westside for skinny bastards. Great program layout there--you can't do much better.

Also, just for the record--it's totally possible to rock climb at over 200 lbs. I do it.