T Nation

Strength Training with Crossfit

been lifting for 4-5 years now, but want to tryout crossfit. Im getting into running, swimming and mma and want to increase my performance in these areas
read that crossfit could help me alot…however its confusing im not sure how it works and what excercises to pick
if anyone knows any helpful links or advice or even any workout routines that deal in crossfit would love to hear from you and get some advice
the type of crossfit Im looking for is methods of how to increase bodyweight exercises but as well maintain my strength for bench, squats, deadlifts etc

The thread below is related to this:

Apparently the 2nd edition e-book for 5/3/1 has templates that incorporate crossfit style programming with the 5/3/1 program. I have the 1st edition and Wendler addresses using bodyweight assistance with the big lifts in it so I am sure he does this as well in the 2nd.

Anyway, this would allow you to progress in the bench, squat, military press, and deadlift while upping your conditioning to meet your goals.

Just something to consider.

You may want to try www.crossfit.com.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
You may want to try www.crossfit.com.[/quote]

Smartass…

CrossFit is a perfect fit with everything you mentioned. It will vastly increase your metabolic conditioning as well as get you strong, powerful, fast, etc.

great first posts guys!

BUY THE BOOK!!!

5/3/1 second edition

[quote]COACH_KL wrote:
CrossFit is a perfect fit with everything you mentioned. It will vastly increase your metabolic conditioning as well as get you strong, powerful, fast, etc.
[/quote]

Really? It can make you better at everything all at the same time with one training method?

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:

[quote]COACH_KL wrote:
CrossFit is a perfect fit with everything you mentioned. It will vastly increase your metabolic conditioning as well as get you strong, powerful, fast, etc.
[/quote]

Really? It can make you better at everything all at the same time with one training method? [/quote]

Still one post each, I think this was an attempted alley-oop.

hahah…trolls or brain washed cult members

[quote]milktruck wrote:

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:

[quote]COACH_KL wrote:
CrossFit is a perfect fit with everything you mentioned. It will vastly increase your metabolic conditioning as well as get you strong, powerful, fast, etc.
[/quote]

Really? It can make you better at everything all at the same time with one training method? [/quote]

Still one post each, I think this was an attempted alley-oop.[/quote]

[quote]milktruck wrote:
great first posts guys![/quote]

hahah this is so ridiculous. Obviously Coach KL is reputable, what makes you think he isn’t? The fact that he registered yesterday for a thread on this?

Mere coincidence…

OP get Wendler’s book. Way better use of your time and money.

check out crossfit football it is more strenght based than crossfit.com

[quote]Mag300 wrote:
been lifting for 4-5 years now, but want to tryout crossfit. Im getting into running, swimming and mma and want to increase my performance in these areas
read that crossfit could help me alot…however its confusing im not sure how it works and what excercises to pick
if anyone knows any helpful links or advice or even any workout routines that deal in crossfit would love to hear from you and get some advice
the type of crossfit Im looking for is methods of how to increase bodyweight exercises but as well maintain my strength for bench, squats, deadlifts etc[/quote]

How are you going to perform optimally in lifting, mma, swimming AND running AN do crossfit?

If you are just getting into them, as pretty much anyone who is good at them will say, you need to do them lots.

The primary only way to increase your running performance is to run lots. The primary way to increase your swimming performance is to swim lots. MMA is the same, you need to practice lots. Unless you have been training hard and competing in running and swimming for at least two years, there really is no need to crossfit for them lol. MMA - I don’t do it but instinctively I’d think that doing 3x sessions per week rather than 2 crossfit and 1MMA will make you better at MMA.

Crossfit won’t make you better at a specific sport. Its for people who want to look and feel like ‘sportsmen’ or ‘athletes’. But it won’t increase your performance in them compared to doing the specific sports for the same amount of time you would be crossfitting.

If you are interested in crossfit and oly lifting/strength training, I suggest reading Outlaw’s website. They use a modified version of the Westside Barbell’s Conjugate Method. They focus on Oly lifting by breaking down each movement and then will throw in a met-con at the end. Pretty amazing stuff.

I hope its not against forum rules to reference the site- http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/.

Crossfit doesn’t do bench, not that you couldn’t adapt a program to go along with this.
Crossfit gets a lot a of flack here. IMO crossfit could be more effective if they focused their training into specific quarterly goals: during certain months work on power with olympic lifts, kettle bells, box jumps, and sprints: work another part of the year on strength- squats, deadlift, strongman type training, then conditioning for another part.

I think crossfit is too random, run a timed 5 mile one day, deadlift max the next day, then “fight gone bad” cicuit next.
I think when you do high rep olympic lifts, the technique breaks down and bad movements get reinforced. I would use kettlebells instead if you wanted conditioning with similar olympic type movements. I have done some crossfit workouts and they are tough, but I also think the high intensity year round may also lead to burnout/ mental fatigue or overuse injuries.
If its something you like, do it.

My problem is, i find CF affiliate gyms very attractive to train at due to thier equipment type, but then… i have absolutely no desire to pay $200 a month or do group WOD workouts.

I think you need to figure out first what your goals in each activity are, and what your training level is each of them. If you have never done any of them before then Crossfit could be an effective starting point. GPP work like crossfit is used as an indroductory basis in many athletic training regimines (although ususally still programed specific to the sport at hand).

However if you already have a solid base in one or all of the activities then decreasing specificity is going to at best not increase performance. If you are already training in those three things and weightlifting then you are already crosstraining with more specificity than a crossfit format would offer you, at least in terms of the most popular formats.

This is especially true of swimming in which your endurance and speed are dependent on efficiency in the water which you can only train in a pool. This isn’t to say the format has no value to you, some crossfit gyms have expierienced coaches which could structure a program using the equipment they have to focus on strength training with supplemental GPP work from their workouts.

Bottom line is if you want to get better at fighting people you need to fight people, if you want to run 10 miles competitvely you need to train at that volume, nothing prepares you to swim distance or sprints like swimming distance or sprints, and If you want to maintain strength you need to keep volume and intensity consistent with what you have been doing. So intelligently supplementing it may help you but outright replacing your other training will only in making you better at the aspects of crossfit you have not participated in before. If you decide to do it get one with a good coaching staff that has outside expierience with athletes that can assist you and properly coach your technique, as a capsule or lumbar strain is going to set you way back in your goals.

Crossfit is kind of a bastardish child of fitness and sport. It is something like conditioning with a competitive edge.

It won’t improve your MMA performance at all. I think Crossfit is quite good at what it claims to do : preparing the body to extreme effort etc… but there are no other sports built on the simple notion of effort. You need to train technical, tactical aspects and put your efforts on those aspects.

Strength training + Crossfit is possible : go for the Wendler 5/3/1 book, or look at the Westside + Crossfit templates on the website.

But I doubt you will achieve anything in Strength + Crossfit + MMA. That’s too much.

Crossfitstrength is the best one for strength weightlifing with crossfit. They usually do a heavy lift, assistance lifts, then a metcon afterwards.