Strength Training w/Calisthenics

what do you guys feel about strength training with calisthenics (progressive) ? Do you think strength training with calisthenics can get you as strong as training with weights(bench,squat,deadlifting). I have always been curious if anyone has some testimonies with this topic. I know it’s hard to compare but for general strength not for sports or to be a competitive lifter what training will be more beneficial . I’ve been training with the big 4 for quite some time and feel really strong but wonder if this can push it to the next level.

It depends on what kind of strength you want to achieve. Strength is not defined by how much weight you are moving in the powerlifts (even though it is a good indicator). Calisthenics and weight training will not give you the exact same results. Just chose your goal and go after it.

Since you asked: I don’t think very highly of calisthenics for strength. But that is because I can’t see how it would help me with my training goals.

Jim Bathurst (beastskills), Ido Portal, Max Shank and a few others have tried both. The general verdict is that calisthenics can take your upper body very far if you know what you are doing - you’ll pretty much have to train like a gymnast and master really tough moves. L sit to handstand, muscle ups, levers… One dude at my gym does those and, at 185 lb bodyweight, looks jacked and can bench 280 without ever training for it. However, most will also tell you that nothing will build brute leg strength like squats and deadlifts - and they’re right. Pistol squats can make you very strong but not as strong as four plates on the bar. The good news is that you don’t have to choose - you just need to program correctly if you want to do both

True , I know a lot of people that train calisthenics and are incredibly strong , for legs they deadlift and squat once a week, I was wondering if I should incorporate calisthenics for upper body being that it is summer here on the East Coast and Squats/and deads for legs .

[quote]Richieavella721 wrote:
True , I know a lot of people that train calisthenics and are incredibly strong , for legs they deadlift and squat once a week, I was wondering if I should incorporate calisthenics for upper body being that it is summer here on the East Coast and Squats/and deads for legs . [/quote]

How long does summer last over there? Because over here, if summers here and you’re not ready, it’s too late.

[quote]Richieavella721 wrote:
True , I know a lot of people that train calisthenics and are incredibly strong , for legs they deadlift and squat once a week, I was wondering if I should incorporate calisthenics for upper body being that it is summer here on the East Coast and Squats/and deads for legs . [/quote]

Why not?

I think WEIGHTED calisthenics are great. Weighted dips is one of THE best exercises for chest and triceps and I personally think weighted pushups is at least equal to bench press. It feels better on my shoulders too. And you can hardly beat pullups for back.