Strength Training Starts Monday

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
learn how to do power cleans. or normal cleans

you should normally stand on your toes once the bar reaches the waist to throw it further up. if you cant learn the power clean then sure, add some exercize… but its not really needed. moving around with the weight or just standing on it builds them up a bit.

normally people dont do calves as beginner because they grow way too fast and then it just looks weird compared to your thighs that … proportionately grow slower[/quote]

im hearing all these things that are the total opposite of what have previously heard. Isn’t suporting your body with the tip of your feet hazardous to your knees, someone once said that you might pop it out if the weight your lifting is too heavy. Everything that i’ve heard before says that your body must be suported by your heels when lifting weight. Is this a myth?

i think where that came from is usually when people go up on there toes its at the end after they lock out there knees

locking your joints out is bad if you lift with your toes you also activate your calves which is good.

how I squat is I go ass to ground then up at the end of that pump I lift up on my toes which is also a calf raise

yes you want a wide base you want to support your weight with your whole foot so your stable.
but in this case they mentioned when doing the power clean using your toes that adds the calves like i said turning it into a calf raise just like my squats

Damner, you might not realize it, but you’re violently attacking a number of sacred cows in the beginner’s forum.

[quote] Damner wrote:
-Isn’t too much milk bad for you?
-… i could really use one exersise for triceps like 3x8…
-Damn, so the only thing i will get out this program is strenght, no muscle growth? Wow thats not very motivational!
-Isn’t suporting your body with the tip of your feet hazardous to your knees…
[/quote]

I can’t tell if you’re trying to be a jerk or not. Either way, it’s a good thing you’re asking all these questions.

Specifically:
-Don’t bitch about wanting tricep pulldown work and then bitch about having to do dips. The extra work is there because some people can use it. For example, if you’re a high school football linebacker, doing extra dips and pullups while in season might be counterproductive. For them, it’s not appropriate. You could probably tolerate them.
-By the time you’ve raised onto your toes on a powerclean, you’re no longer supporting the weight. It’s flying up to punch you in the face, and you better catch it.
-Coming up onto your toes when you squat does lead to a higher load being placed on the knees, which it can’t handle as well as your hips can.

So far, good job. Keep the questions coming!

The thing is that i want to get into this program knowing as much as possible. So thank god there is a site called T-Nation where i can go to and clear any misconceptions or doubts that i have in mind. I don’t wan’t to turn my body into a wreck by not knowing what i’m getting into so that’s why im posting all this questions. And right now I don’t have the time to read articles since i have my hands full going to school and working. So, thanks to all of you who have given me a hand on this matter…

I have a few last set of questions here about the power cleans. I’ve been watching some videos and some have the guy doing the squat part of the lift starting at a very low point, they look like theyr doing one of those atg squats.

Other have the person doing the squat like a half squat or higher and on top of that they push the bar overhead as if doing a military press at the end of the movement. Does it matter how i do it?

And another thing that is bothering me is that I’m suposed to do all the sets of the same exercise with the same weith ex, bench press 1st set 205x5, 2nd set 205x5, 3rd set 205x5. How exactly does this work, i mean if i was only able to do 5 reps on the first set how is it possible that i’ll be able to do the same amount of reps on the 2nd and 3rd set w/ the same weith.

This is on a link that Otep posted on one of my other posts and nothing is mentioned about this thats why i’m concerned.

thats for squats. especialyl back squats. if you get on your toes in back squats you’ll be way too forward, and your knees will hurt a LOT. its mostly a flexibility issue and its mostly for beginners.

plus you dont use as much weight on a power clean as on a squat.

look up clean and jerk in youtube for some olympic games… while sometimes they wont really try to do it cause they lift very close to their 1RM, they ALL jump up a tiny bit and then squat under the bar. you jump with your feet, meaning calves.

plus during a pull when you get on your toes the weight is really going upwards already so its not like 100% of it will be on your toes. the momentum makes the pressure on your toes less

Damn but the other stuff has got me worried now…

[quote]Damner wrote:

And another thing that is bothering me is that I’m suposed to do all the sets of the same exercise with the same weith ex, bench press 1st set 205x5, 2nd set 205x5, 3rd set 205x5. How exactly does this work, i mean if i was only able to do 5 reps on the first set how is it possible that i’ll be able to do the same amount of reps on the 2nd and 3rd set w/ the same weith.
[/quote]
You should really read the book. Mark says, “Don’t be afraid to take small jumps–be afraid to stop improving.” You should always start with a weight that allows you to do the intended number of sets and reps. If it goes smoothly, increase the weight 5-10 lbs next time. But take it slowly. This isn’t about picking the heaviest weight you can possibly lift. It’s about making constant progress. “It’s easier not to get stuck than it is to get unstuck.”

[quote]Damner wrote:
Damn but the other stuff has got me worried now…
[/quote]

I reread your questions and I found that I misread the hell out of them lol
so I edited this post because it made no sense what so ever based on your questions ,sorry bout that.

EDIT: check it out heres my program I found it much eaiser to understand ripptoes even though its the same damn thing really.
it explains things very nice
try this let me know if its any better

Thanks dude, that was better they are a little different but you can tell that theyr just different versions. But crap whenever it seems like im getting closer to understanding the whole thing something comes up to make me wonder.

Strong lift has for the most part doing exercises with 5x5 and Starting strenght has them 3x5. Which would be more effective in terms of muscle mass production?

[quote]Damner wrote:
Thanks dude, that was better they are a little different but you can tell that theyr just different versions. But crap whenever it seems like im getting closer to understanding the whole thing something comes up to make me wonder. Strong lift has for the most part doing exercises with 5x5 and Starting strenght has them 3x5. Which would be more effective in terms of muscle mass production? [/quote]

At your point in training, 3x5 is better.

[quote]anoddparadigm wrote:
Damner wrote:
Thanks dude, that was better they are a little different but you can tell that theyr just different versions. But crap whenever it seems like im getting closer to understanding the whole thing something comes up to make me wonder. Strong lift has for the most part doing exercises with 5x5 and Starting strenght has them 3x5. Which would be more effective in terms of muscle mass production?

At your point in training, 3x5 is better.[/quote]

why do you see that 3x5 would be better for him? please explain.

and OP both programs are for building strength and a solid muscle base.

personally I couldnt do the 3x5 it was my personal preferance

Darn it i guess i’m gonna have to hold the starting date until i find which of the 2 programs are more productive…grrrr. Oh Well, Thanks anyway people.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Darn it i guess i’m gonna have to hold the starting date until i find which of the 2 programs are more productive…grrrr. Oh Well, Thanks anyway people.[/quote]

3x5 do it.

Damn i just finished my first “Starting Strength” session and wow…what a wimpy workout. Sure, ive heard this yield very good results but its just hard to believe it. I love it its quick and easy, it took me only about 35-40 mins. Did any of you ever use to do this program if so what did you think of it?

If your form is good and it still feels wimpy, add more weight.

Oh yeah i was adding weight to the point where completing the 5 reps were challenging. What i ment by wimpy was that it was so short. However I still don’t know if if shoud stick to the 3x5 or change to the 5x5.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Oh yeah i was adding weight to the point where completing the 5 reps were challenging. What i ment by wimpy was that it was so short. However I still don’t know if if shoud stick to the 3x5 or change to the 5x5.[/quote]

total workout time after warmup is about 45 mins to an hour depending on rest times. it is very fast but you need to be heavy enough where it does wear you out

i’ll keep that in mind, today was almost kinda like a prep workout. Thanks.

Check out any of the Starting Strength training logs to see the effectiveness of this program. It’s simple, it’s easy, and it’s effective, as long as you’re piling on the weight and giving yourself a good challenge throughout your workout.