Strength Training Starts Monday

Hello again, i have some questions regarding that rippotoe’s starting strengh. I’m gonna start that split on monday but there are some exercises that i was already doing before like squats (atg), military press infront of head with ez-bar, and bench. Should i pick new exercises to replace these 3 or maybe just leave them in there? I’m really excited about starting this program. One more thing that post says that one gallon of milk must be consumed a day…like what the f****g f**k, isn’t too much milk bad for you because of some estrogen producing something?!

forum.dutchbodybuilding.com/f141/mark-
rippetoe-s-starting-strength-routine-63770/

Do the program as advertised. There are some substitutions that can be made, but Squats, Mil Pres, and Bench (and Dead Lift) are the cornerstone of this program. You change those, and you’re not really doing Rippetoes.

Can’t say about the milk thing, but plenty of us are doing Starting Strength without drinking a gallon of milk. Diet IS very important though, and if you’re looking to gain, you have to eat.

…now, i’ll step aside and let the big dogs have their say… :slight_smile:

Nice job darwin!

/thread

Thanks. I’m busting my ass to learn all that I can. I like that I can at least answer the basic questions. :slight_smile:

The gallon of milk was a recommendation for skinny kids who can’t gain weight. Depending on how much you weigh, your bodyfat and the trouble you have gaining weight you may not need as much milk.

Also, don’t do military presses with an EZ-Bar. I also would HIGHLY recommend reading Starting Strength. It is the best 30$ I have spent on anything weightlifting related. I constantly find myself referencing it again on questions related to proper technique on the basic lifts.

That is the best synopsis of the basic program, only thing is that I think it should be 5x3 for cleans not 3x5.

honestly you wont turn gay because of the milk… relax. nor will just with a lil bit more estrogen your progress stall. there is so much stuff to think about that help aside from muscles/CNS/food/working out to help or worsen your progress taht you shouldnt even think about them too much unless you’ve trained for at least 2 years IMO

but i recently read if you have an intolerance to milk(even if you are ok with dealing with the consequencies you are aware of) you may be better off not drinking any. too bad cause im intolerant and i LOVE milk. its so much better than water.

oh unless you can get it fresh, raw, unpasteurized(sp?). most say they are fine with that kind of milk.

Ok good forget the gallon of milk a day!!
One thing i’m concerned about is that there’s no calf exercise here, neglecting calfs is not something i wanna do since i could definetly use some meat on my legs.

Would the addition of some calf exercise be a smart thing to do on this program? Although direct bicep/tricep work is not on the program i could really use one exersise for triceps like 3x8. I think i’ll throw in some kickbacks if that’s ok…man im excited about starting this.

learn how to do power cleans. or normal cleans

you should normally stand on your toes once the bar reaches the waist to throw it further up. if you cant learn the power clean then sure, add some exercize… but its not really needed. moving around with the weight or just standing on it builds them up a bit.

normally people dont do calves as beginner because they grow way too fast and then it just looks weird compared to your thighs that … proportionately grow slower

calfs grow fast? Correct me if im wrong but i’ve always heard the total opposite growing calves is just like growing an orange in …atartica, very difficult.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Would the addition of some calf exercise be a smart thing to do on this program? Although direct bicep/tricep work is not on the program i could really use one exersise for triceps like 3x8. I think i’ll throw in some kickbacks if that’s ok…man im excited about starting this.[/quote]

If you are doing heavy squats, deadlifts, and power cleans you really shouldn’t have the energy to do calf work. The point of this program is to get strong, and once you are strong you can do some calf work. If you can’t squat at 1.5x your BW (I would even say 2x BW) you really are wasting your time and energy doing calf work, but others may disagree.

There is no reason to do tricep work, but if you really want to I would suggest doing a good tricep exercise like dips.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Ok good forget the gallon of milk a day!!
One thing i’m concerned about is that there’s no calf exercise here, neglecting calfs is not something i wanna do since i could definetly use some meat on my legs.

Would the addition of some calf exercise be a smart thing to do on this program? Although direct bicep/tricep work is not on the program i could really use one exersise for triceps like 3x8. I think i’ll throw in some kickbacks if that’s ok…man im excited about starting this.[/quote]

Just do the program as written.

Damn, so the only thing i will get out this program is strenght, no muscle growth? Wow thats not very motivational!

not to sound too harsh but where do you think the muscle size comes from?

this is a strength program and along with strength you will get bigger muscles.

dont worry about the mirror muscles worry about the numbers on the bar.

milk is fine people say all kinds of things but me personally,I drink half gallon a day.
it is a bit much but I cant get enough food I am always so damned hungry since starting my program.

I started over weight and yes I am still a fat guy I get all kinds of weird looks in the gym from what I am throwing around. its a wonderful program follow it as written and go to town.I have been dropping body fat like crazy with the addition of alot of cardio but I am staying the same weight so that should tell you there is muscle growth.

you do not need calf exercises cause your dead lifts, standing presses,squats they use the calves
I messed around couple weeks ago and I found myself doing calf raises at 325 and some guy that was doing 215 pound calf raises was gawking like he seen the holy grail,so I kept going,made me feel good that someone was impressed by me,granted the next couple days I wasnt able to walk without being on tip toes I hurt so bad but goes to show you that you do get strong calves from doing this.

also remember this is a beginner routine leave the body part specific things for when your advanced,years down the road

that program adds more muscle than you will believe if you eat the right foods (slightly above your RMR caloric intake)… stick with the workout, you get strength (which is, by the way, muscle growth) and size.

I was told this also and its wonderful advise.

your doing a starting routine. it is simple to follow they walk you thru it step by step it takes a total of about an hour from start to finish and has a few compund movments.
so shut up and lift and watch what you can do.

oh ya and sorry for the hijack but I seen my sister yesterday for the first time since october and she screamed at me
Oh my god you lost so much weight!!! she had no idea I even started working out again.
that feels good specially since I am actually 2 pounds heavier than when I started.but she swears I lost about 20 pounds

this program will take you in either direction get you big or get you small its mainly in diet.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Although direct bicep/tricep work is not on the program i could really use one exersise for triceps like 3x8. I think i’ll throw in some kickbacks if that’s ok…man im excited about starting this.[/quote]

Do dips - they are an accessory exercise. Chin-ups are a good exercise for your biceps. Kickbacks will not be nearly as effective as dips.

Read this

or buy the book already

[quote]Damner wrote:
Damn, so the only thing i will get out this program is strenght, no muscle growth? Wow thats not very motivational![/quote]

You think you won’t get any muscle growth on this? Seriously, go to the Training Log forum and read the numerous Rippetoe’s logs. See what the program is capable of doing for beginners.

Will it make you “Hyooge?” Probably not, but you WILL build a good amount of strength, and as you get stronger, your muscles will grow.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Damn, so the only thing i will get out this program is strenght, no muscle growth? Wow thats not very motivational![/quote]

The goal of this program is to give a beginner the largest amount of strength gains as possible in 6 months. As a side effect to strength, you will gain mass. In the same way the side effect of gaining mass will strength. I have actually seen this program put more weight on someone then programs designed for mass gain. The real factor here is diet.

Once you are strong, you can go back to bodybuilding-focused routines. You’ll find them more effective now that you can actually handle a respectable amount of weight on the barbell.

i feel much better now knowing that i will, if everything else is done right, get bigger. I also wanted to mention that the split has chin-ups like someone mentioned as optional exercises, what are the benefits of doing them i mean if it’s optional they musn’t really do much in this program!

[quote]Damner wrote:
i feel much better now knowing that i will, if everything else is done right, get bigger. I also wanted to mention that the split has chin-ups like someone mentioned as optional exercises, what are the benefits of doing them i mean if it’s optional they musn’t really do much in this program! [/quote]

you dont “have to” do chins but I suggest doing a cable pulldown do all the exersizes do not add or take out anything you may feel like its not enough,trust me it is.
you want to do in essence these types of movments

press
pull
squat= very important do all of them every time
dead lift=equaly important

with that you have full body work out 3 times a week
start at a ridculiously low weight(i started at 55 pounds)
of course buy the book already or look up stronglifts 5x5 for a free template thats slightly different thats what my poor butt did.