Strength Training Log: Powerlifting

So I want to be a power lifter. I have been working out consistently for about 2 1/2 to 3 years now, but I haven’t been seriously training. Now I’ve decided that I want to get brutally strong on the Big 3 and I am going to keep a log on this site because otherwise I will have no incentive to stick with my plan.

Today: Squat Day

Box Jumps: 3x3

Squats: Wide Stance. Worked up to a 3 rep max of 205lbs. I almost got buried under that last rep.

Good mornings: Wide stance, 3x5 at 85lbs.

Hip thrusts: 3x5 at 100lbs. I love these, just gotta make sure to use the pad,

Glute Ham raises: 3x5 with a 2.2lb medicine balls.

Situps: 3x5 with a 40lb dumbbell.

Pull-downs: Plate loaded, I got up to 112.5lbs per side so 225 total which is my bodyweight right now. I couldn’t get a full pull-down with both arms at that weight but I could with one arm for some reason.

Nutrition for the Day:

Breakfast: 6 eggs, 2 pieces of bread,
At work: Rockstar Pure Zero, 2 packets of instant oatmeal with milk, (this is really convenient for staying full)
Workout: Surge workout fuel
Postworkout: a cup of oatmeal+2 packets of instant oatmeal ground up with milk and brown sugar. this is my Oatmeal Smoothie. Normally I would also have some protein powder postworkout but i’m out right now.
Dinner: Chicken breast, omelet, two pieces of toast
Other: i’m going to have a porkchop, probably some snack mix with nuts, and/or anything else I feel like before I go to bed. Normally I would have a slice of thin cut Milanesa but i’m out right now.
Before bed: Sweet potatoe smoothie- half a baked sweet potato, a whole banana, brown sugar and milk.

Any suggestions about my nutrition right now?

I did count the calories with my nutrition at one point and I think it was something like 3000-3500 calories. I know I was getting about 225 grams of protein, but I don’t remember how many grams of carbs or fats. I was eating an extra 6 eggs a day at the time, but I think the extra milk helps make up for it cause I wasn’t counting it at the time.

Stats:

Height: 5’10
Weight: 225lbs
BF%: IDK what it is now but a few months ago when I had it tested it was like 17.9% so that’s crap lol

Squat: 240lbs
Bench: 185lbs (crap I know)
Dead: 285lbs
(there all crap really)

Goals: medium term

Weight: stay at or around 225 but get leaner

Squat: 315lbs
Bench: 225lbs
Dead: 365lbs

My weekly progression for the Big 3 will be as follows:

Week 1: ramp up to a 3RM
Week 2: ramp up to a 2RM
Week 3: ramp up to a 1RM
Week 4: 3x3 at 90% of 3RM
Week 5: 5x2 at 90% of 2RM
Week 6: 10x1 at 90% of 1RM
Week 7: Wave loading 3/2/1- start at 90% of 3RM
Week 8: Wave loading 3/2/1- start at 90% of 3RM (try and do better than the last week)
Week 9: Ratchet loading 1/3- start at 90% of 3RM
Week 10: Ratchet loading 1/3- start at 90% of 3RM (try and do better than the last week)
Week 11: 10/8/6/20- pump workout
Week 12: Deload Week- 3x5, (40%,50%,60%)

Tuesday: Max Squat

I worked up to a 1RM of 245lbs so that’s a 5lb PR.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 6 eggs, leftover Sweet Potato Smoothie,
At Work: Nothing except a Mountain Dew. (we were really busy so I didn’t have time to eat anything. I wasn’t really hungry for some reason either)
Workout: Nothing
Post Workout: Oatmeal Smoothie. (I added the two instant oatmeals I would have eaten at work to the smoothie)
Other: I’m going to have an omelet, some bread and later we are going to go get Vietnamese food. It will have plenty of rice and meat and veggies. I’ll probably have some Milanesa tonight and whatever other protein sources I feel like.
Before Bed: Sweet Potato Smoothie

Weekly Routine:

Monday: Squat Day- box jumps, back squat, good mornings, hip thrusts, glute-ham raises, sit-ups, pull-downs,

Tuesday: Max Day- Front Squat

Wednesday: Bench Day- benchpress, overhead press, close grip incline bench press, tricep extension, press-downs, side crunches, leg press

Thursday: Max Day- Incline Bench

Friday: Deadlift Day- deadlift, powerclean/BB rows, rack pulls, dumbbell rows, pull-downs, roll-outs, incline bench machine

I know this week I did Back Squat on Max Squat Day (today) but I decided after the fact that I should do Front Squats because I ought to include them for their own sake and because i’m already doing Back Squats on Mondays. I might include a Max day on Saturday and do Rack Pulls, we’ll see.

Wednesday: Bench Day

Bench Press: worked up to a 3RM of 155lbs (lame I know)

Overhead Press: 3x5 at 70lbs

Close Grip Bench Press: 4x5 at 100lbs (I worked with a couple different grips here so their not all exactly close grip but oh well)

Tricep Extension: 3x8 at 30lbs

Pressdowns: 4x10 at 47.5lbs (one set of 10 at each of the different positions on the machine)

Curls: 10/8/6/4/1 at 40,50,60,70,80lbs (I used the fixed EZ bars, I decided to do curls on bench day because that’s a classic and because I really need so direct bicep work, they’ve allways been a weak point)

Side Crunches: 3x5 with a 40lb dumbbell

Leg Extensions: 3x10 at 50lbs (pathetic I know)

I ran through this session really well and fast, I felt really good and I didn’t get exhausted in the middle.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 6 eggs (I probably need more in the future)
At work: a Rock Star pure zero, a chicken breast
Pre Workout: Half a pork chop
Post Workout: an Oatmeal Smoothie and a Sweet Potato Smoothie
Later: Chips and Salsa, some Trail Mix, the other half of that Pork chop, a slice of thin cut Milanesa,

Dinner: Probably some beans
Before Bed: Maybe more eggs if I can’t find anything else

I’m going to try and limit my carbs to an hour after a workout from now on. I feel like they’ll burn quicker that way and I might lose some fat that way.

Thursday: Max Pressing- Incline Bench Press

I worked up to a 1RM of 165lbs. then I did 5 singles at 90% (150lbs).

Nutrition:

Breakfast: 7 eggs
At Work: Rockstar Pure Zero, a chicken breast
Pre Workout: 5 Hour Energy (just wanted to see if I felt anything, I didn’t really)
Post Workout: Oatmeal smoothie, 3 slices of bread
Later: Porkchop, Milanesa,

Dinner: Not sure but i’ll definitely need to eat something
Before Bed: probably 5 or 6 eggs

Friday: Deadlift Day

Deadlift: I worked up to a 4 reps at 240lbs. (this wasn’t really a max but I don’t want to overstress my back because I’ve had to take a few days off from lifting after maxing out on deadlifts before and that sucks. The reps here were alternate grip and I did 2 reps with each alteration.)

Power cleans/BB rows: I worked up to my max on power cleans of 135lbs (pathetic I know) and then I did 5 singles with that weight. While working up I would do 3 power cleans and then 5 BB rows as one set. At the max level, I did singles for both exercises but I did BB rows with 155lbs.

Rack Pulls: these were barely Rack Pulls, I may have pulled the bar 2 inches but I wanted to get my body and particularly my grip used to heavier weight. I did 4 singles at 315lbs, 2 reps with each overhand/underhand grip.

Lat Pull downs: I did 3x10 at 100lbs and then I maxed out at 140lbs for 1 rep. This was with the cable machine, not the plate loaded machine I did on Monday.

Dumbbell Rows: 5x1 per arm at 100lbs. I actually felt my lats working at this point. This was cool because I almost never actually feel my lats working during a session.

Shoulder Press Machine: I maxed out at 70lbs per arm (this was a plate loaded machine). I might have been able to do 5 or 10lbs more but I didn’t want to push it.

T-Bar rows: I did a couple of sets at 80lbs. I didn’t really pay attention, I wanted to do facepulls but someone was using the machine for that so I just did some throwaway sets in between my planks. I’ll do Facepulls on Monday.

Planks: 5x10 seconds.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 8 eggs
Work: Rockstar Pure Zero, Chicken Breast
Pre Workout: Nothing
Post Workout: Oatmeal Smoothie, 3 slices of bread
Later: Pork chop, 2 slices of Pizza (I know, not healthy and it’s after my Carb Hour but oh well)

Dinner: Beef and vegetable soup, Milanesa,
Before Bed: 6 eggs

I’m going out of town tomorrow so I won’t be able to do a max back day but I will next week and I’ll do Power cleans.

Friday: Deadlift Day

Deadlift: I worked up to a 4 reps at 240lbs. (this wasn’t really a max but I don’t want to overstress my back because I’ve had to take a few days off from lifting after maxing out on deadlifts before and that sucks. The reps here were alternate grip and I did 2 reps with each alteration.)

Power cleans/BB rows: I worked up to my max on power cleans of 135lbs (pathetic I know) and then I did 5 singles with that weight. While working up I would do 3 power cleans and then 5 BB rows as one set. At the max level, I did singles for both exercises but I did BB rows with 155lbs.

Rack Pulls: these were barely Rack Pulls, I may have pulled the bar 2 inches but I wanted to get my body and particularly my grip used to heavier weight. I did 4 singles at 315lbs, 2 reps with each overhand/underhand grip.

Lat Pull downs: I did 3x10 at 100lbs and then I maxed out at 140lbs for 1 rep. This was with the cable machine, not the plate loaded machine I did on Monday.

Dumbbell Rows: 5x1 per arm at 100lbs. I actually felt my lats working at this point. This was cool because I almost never actually feel my lats working during a session.

Shoulder Press Machine: I maxed out at 70lbs per arm (this was a plate loaded machine). I might have been able to do 5 or 10lbs more but I didn’t want to push it.

T-Bar rows: I did a couple of sets at 80lbs. I didn’t really pay attention, I wanted to do facepulls but someone was using the machine for that so I just did some throwaway sets in between my planks. I’ll do Facepulls on Monday.

Planks: 5x10 seconds.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 8 eggs
Pre Workout: Nothing
Post Workout: Oatmeal Smoothie, 3 slices of bread
Later: Pork chop, 2 slices of Pizza (I know, not healthy and it’s after my Carb Hour but oh well)

Dinner: Beef and vegetable soup, Milanesa,

I’m going out of town tomorrow so I won’t be able to do a max back day but I will next week and I’ll do Power cleans.

I just received my Metabolic Drive and Creatine Monohydrate in the mail. I’ve used Metabolic Drive for a while now but this is the first time I’ve used Creatine so I will report back my experiences. I’m also going to order one bucket of Plazma and Micro-PA and give them a trial run and report my results here. My plan will be to take the Micro-PA about an hour before working out like the bottle says, sip on the Plazma during the workout and take my Metabolic Drive/Creatine immediately after, as well as eating as many carbs as I can for an hour after working out. On non training days I will only take the Metabolic Drive/Creatine. I know the Micro-PA says to take on non training days but I have to make it last and I want it to sink up with the Plazma. With the Plazma, i’m only going to take one serving at a time in order to make it last. I might experiment with more than one scoop a couple of times but I want it to last about the same as the Micro-PA.

Also, I’m changing my weekly progression on the big lifts from what I listed above to 5/3/1. I’m gonna stop trying to be my own coach on the big lifts.

Monday, 6/30/2014- Squat Day 5/3/1, 5’s Day. Max= 245, TM= 220

Box Jumps: Just some general warm-up stuff

Squats: Warm-up, 145x5, 165x5, 185x5 2. I went ass to grass on the warm-up reps and the first two working sets. The last set I couldn’t go all the way down and do all the reps so I went to just below parallel. 2 extra reps isn’t great but its not too unusual for me on 5’s day with squats. I’ve done 5/3/1 for short times in the past but never very long. This time I want to run it for at least a year.

Good Mornings: 3x5 at 90lbs

Hip thrusts: Warm-up, 3x5 at 135lbs. These felt good and explosive.

Glute Ham Raises: 3x5 10lbs

Situps: 3x6 with a 40lb dumbbell

Pulldowns: Maxed out at 115 per arm

I did some leg extensions and cable chest presses just for fun.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 9 eggs, 5g of Creatine
At Work: Rockstar Pure Zero, Chicken breast
Pre-Workout: Nothing
Workout: Orange Gatorade
Post Workout: Protein Powder, 5g of Creatine,
Carb Hour: Oatmeal Smoothie, 3 slices of bread
Later: 1tbsp of EVOO, Milanesa, Porkchop

Dinner: Fish, Salad, Watermelon

Monday, 6/30/2014- Squat Day 5/3/1, 5’s Day. Max= 245, TM= 220

Box Jumps: Just some general warm-up stuff

Squats: Warm-up, 145x5, 165x5, 185x5 2. I went ass to grass on the warm-up reps and the first two working sets. The last set I couldn’t go all the way down and do all the reps so I went to just below parallel. 2 extra reps isn’t great but its not too unusual for me on 5’s day with squats. I’ve done 5/3/1 for short times in the past but never very long. This time I want to run it for at least a year.

Good Mornings: 3x5 at 90lbs

Hip thrusts: Warm-up, 3x5 at 135lbs. These felt good and explosive.

Glute Ham Raises: 3x5 10lbs

Situps: 3x6 with a 40lb dumbbell

Pulldowns: Maxed out at 115 per arm

I did some leg extensions and cable chest presses just for fun.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 9 eggs, 5g of Creatine
At Work: Rockstar Pure Zero, Chicken breast
Pre-Workout: Nothing
Workout: Orange Gatorade
Post Workout: Protein Powder, 5g of Creatine,
Carb Hour: Oatmeal Smoothie, 3 slices of bread
Later: 1tbsp of EVOO, Milanesa, Porkchop

Dinner: Fish, Salad, Watermelon

I gotta stop double posting, I don’t think I’m going to work out on Tu/Th/ or Saturday. If I do it will probably only be one extra day a week.

I gotta stop double posting, I don’t think I’m going to work out on Tu/Th/ or Saturday. If I do it will probably only be one extra day a week.

Goddamnit!!!

Well I haven’t been posting for a few days. I just forgot so i’m gonna catch up.

Tuesday: Off Day

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 8 eggs, fish oil
At work: rockstar pure zero, chicken breast
Later: 3tbs of EVOO, Milanesa, Metabolic Drive and 5g of Creatine
Later: 2 spoonfuls of natural peanut butter, Porkchop
Dinner: Fish, Salad
Later: 3tbs of EVOO
Later: Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans
Before bed: 6 eggs, 5g of Creatine

Wednesday: Bench Day- 5’s day. Max185lbs, TM 165lbs

My Plazma and Micro-PA arrived today so I used them for this session. I only used 2 scoops of Plazma.

Bench Press: Warmup, 105x5, 125x5, 140x5 2. The plus two was pretty lame but oh well.

Overhead Press: 3x5 at 75lbs

Close Grip Incline Bench Press: 3x5 at 100lbs

Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 3x8 at 32.5lbs

Curls: 40lbsx12, 50lbx9, 60lbsx7, 70lbsx4, 80lbsx1x2

Tricep Pressdowns: 4x10 at 50lbs

Side Crunches: 3x6 at 40lbs per side

Pump Work: I did a SHIT ton of face pulls, rope tricep extensions, rope curls, rope straight arm Lat Pullovers and dumbbell side raises.
I also did some additional pressing with the machine chest press, machine incline chest press and machine shoulder press.

I didn’t get the insane pump Plazma promised but I did feel pretty good throughout the workout and I did get a decent pump. then again I only used 2 scoops, I didn’t drink a whole scoop 15 minutes before ( I just sipped the whole thing during the workout) and I wasn’t following any specific pump inducing techniques. I’ll fix that next time I use Plazma. I also wasn’t using a focus on eccentrics like Micro-PA says but i’ll try and do that next time.

Nutrition:
Breakfast: 8 eggs,
Pre Workout: Sipping Plazma,
Workout: The rest of Plazma, a Gatorade
Post Workout: Metabolic Drive, 5g of Creatine, Oatmeal Smoothie, 3 slices of Bread
Later: Milanesa, Pork Chop,
Before Bed: 6 eggs, 5g of Creatine