Strength Training for Size

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
kostresa wrote:
Correct me if I’m not seeing the whole picture, but don’t pyramids fatigue you, so that by the time you hit the low reps, you’re not lifting as much as if you were fresh?

I don’t do pyramids for this reason. I use pyramid warmups though, which provide a stimulus for the big sets but do not provide any fatigue.

Here is an example for 130# dumbbell bench press:

I do it like this:
Bar or light dumbbells x 10 - 20
30% x 12 reps
50% x 10 reps
70% x 8 reps
90% x 6 reps

130s x 2 x 6 - 8 reps[/quote]

isn’t that basically the same as what I posted? Except you seperated out the first 4ish sets from your 2 work sets

We posted four minutes between each other.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
kostresa wrote:
Correct me if I’m not seeing the whole picture, but don’t pyramids fatigue you, so that by the time you hit the low reps, you’re not lifting as much as if you were fresh?

Pyramids get me ready for the last set. They don’t prevent anything…but INJURY. This concept may be hard to understand if you are just starting. You don’t walk into the gym and put 405lbs on the bar as your first set unless you really want to tear a pectoralis muscle. It is a combination of fatigue and preparation for a heavy set using the most weight for several reps (whether that last set ne 4 or 8 reps).[/quote]

I agree here, but do you think people sometimes tend to tire themselves out too much when warming up? preventing them from going heavier on their work sets?

I know i used to

haha and i remember when i first started lifting in my basement id NEVER warm up, i didnt get hurt(too tiny of weights), but i eventually realized i could lift more with a warm up :slight_smile:

[quote]elano wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Of course training for strength builds size. You realize that’s one of the points, don’t you? Powerlifters aren’t small. I don’t see too many bodybuilders only benching and squatting 135.

5x5, 8x3, 3x8, 4x6, 6x4 - They all work, as long as you progressively try to use more weight week after week and eat enough. Like jehovasfitness said, incorporate them all periodically.

I realize the “secret” is always trying to add more weight. My question was more about strength training programs and their effectiveness for adding size compared to a program where hypertrophy and bodybuilding is the main goal. [/quote]

Do you realize the difference between a “strength” program and a “bodybuilding” program is the volume used?

You can use low reps to build strength, but it’s the total volume that will ultimately lead to the muscle gains in addition to strength (and your diet).

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
Strength increase in moderate rep range + Lotsa Protein/Calorie Surplus = Increased size

The formula that always works.

Fixed that just to make sure. People always misunderstand and start to think that lifting something once will make them big.
[/quote]

thanks bud