T Nation

Strength Training for Cutting

I have been using Wendlers 531 for 2 months and have been seeing fantastic results. Bench (275-315) Press (165-220) DL (350-385) Squat (355-405). However I have gained about 10 lbs (275-285) I'm 6'2" BTW. I would like to start to shed some extra body-fat while continuing to get stronger, maybe 1-2 lbs of fat a week.

Any advice on how to go about it or suggestions for training/diet programs would be much appreciated. I would absolutley love to get down to about 240-250 before 2016.

Stu recently said that lifting should always be done with the intent of building muscle. I agree. Whatever built the muscle will help you keep it while dieting off the fat. So, since you’re familiar with it, I suggest you stick to 531, pick a reasonable template (that means no boring but big), and add conditioning. The rest of the work will be done in the kitchen.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Stu recently said that lifting should always be done with the intent of building muscle. I agree. Whatever built the muscle will help you keep it while dieting off the fat. So, since you’re familiar with it, I suggest you stick to 531, pick a reasonable template (that means no boring but big), and add conditioning. The rest of the work will be done in the kitchen.[/quote]

I’ve found when cutting that strength training should be kept to the minimum you can do to maintain/build strength and that your big gains will come in the kitchen.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Stu recently said that lifting should always be done with the intent of building muscle. I agree. Whatever built the muscle will help you keep it while dieting off the fat. So, since you’re familiar with it, I suggest you stick to 531, pick a reasonable template (that means no boring but big), and add conditioning. The rest of the work will be done in the kitchen.[/quote]

I’ve found when cutting that strength training should be kept to the minimum you can do to maintain/build strength and that your big gains will come in the kitchen.[/quote]

I’m not trying to put out conflicting advice but it doesn’t matter what kind of training you do as long as it’s adequate and your diet is built around it. BBB is fine, but he might be eating more daily I prefer to add volume to cutting calories if I have the time to sustain it.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

I’ve found when cutting that strength training should be kept to the minimum you can do to maintain/build strength and that your big gains will come in the kitchen.[/quote]

What are you saying? Admittedly cutting isn’t something I’m great at but to me, one of the most important things seems to be keeping your rep ranges the same or even slightly lower to keep strength thus helping to keep muscle mass. Higher reps, to me, is for building size and since you can’t do that in a caloric deficit, doesn’t it make more sense to try to get stronger and maintain the muscle you have?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

I’m not trying to put out conflicting advice but it doesn’t matter what kind of training you do as long as it’s adequate and your diet is built around it. BBB is fine, but he might be eating more daily I prefer to add volume to cutting calories if I have the time to sustain it.[/quote]

I’ve found the opposite approach has worked well for me.

Different strokes though.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

What are you saying? Admittedly cutting isn’t something I’m great at but to me, one of the most important things seems to be keeping your rep ranges the same or even slightly lower to keep strength thus helping to keep muscle mass. Higher reps, to me, is for building size and since you can’t do that in a caloric deficit, doesn’t it make more sense to try to get stronger and maintain the muscle you have?
[/quote]

That is approximately what I meant, yes. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.