T Nation

Strength Training E-Book

I'm trying to develop a strength training e-book for my multimedia design class. The purpose of the application must be learning/instructional. What better topic to pick then Strength Training.

So I want to hit up T-mag for some ideas on content, layout, or anything. I already found a "customer". The main target audience of this e-book would be HS athletes. In a broader sense, this could be used by athlete, or anyone for that matter wanting to learn and get into strength training.

I thought about a few points of what this would include:
- proper selection of equipment to be used
- listings of sport specific exercises
- theory behind these movements
- instructions on how to perform the exercises
- pictures and video on performing the exercises
- muscle groups worked
- maybe nutrition and proper warm up.

What do you guys think? should I add more? take some out?

I have to keep in mind i am working in a group of 4 with different skills, video, graphics design, illustration,.. however I only have 1 semester to complete it so it cant be too crazy.

Motivation and goal-setting. Those are some biggies.

Im excited about this. We have a good group of designers and artists. Im working with my HS coach and athletic department as well as the Athletic Director here at college.

Man, no replies?

if I was to make a program for you, what would you want in it? What features, what would be the ideal perfect program. I will send it to anyone that wants it once im finished with it.

Hmm... I personally don't like the concept behind "sport specific" exercises.

Is it true that certain exercises might translate well into vertical leap performance increases in basketball? Yes. Are those exercises alone going to be a decent program for the athelete? Depends. Are those exercises therefore not good for other sports? No.

I think when a person talks about sport specific exercises, there is much confusion caused, especially for persons new to strength training, or new to strength training themselves or others(as opposed to having someone strength train them). You would have to devote alot of time and space in explaining the many options available to a person, the many exercises out there that might help, and the fact that many exercises work for more then one sport, especially dependent on how they are incorporated.

Considering the scope of the project you seem to be looking at, and the type of book you are putting out, with its target audience of high schoolers, I would say that it would be a better idea to describe in detail proper form and execution of the big compound lifts(power and olympic) and explain briefly what muscles they will aid, and what some of the applications might be(ex: You might say that squats will help build leg strength/power. From this I'm sure atheletes will be able to interpret that it can be applied to aiding vertical jumps, running, skating, etc). I'd suggest using Dave Tate's "Bench Press 600 Pounds" and "Squat 900 Pounds"(or whatever the articles were called exactly) as sources of ideas as to the sort of explaintory nature I am suggesting for each movement.

Also, I hope by equipment, you mean, which kind of olympic plates they should buy :wink:

moon knight, i think i had the same idea as you, i guess i didnt convey it right.
i was looking at something similar to squats to help build leg strength which can be translated to sprinting, jumping, etc.

I do have the squat/deadlift video and Westside seminar, so I have good information to work off of.

with equipment, though it may be pointed at novices, who may not know that that 'thing' is not called a curl rack, but a SQUAT RACK. ,

but seriously theres huge differences in squat racks, bars. I want to point out how a good squat rack has more holes to place the safety bar in, how there are single/double collared OLY bars some free spinning some, some not. That bumper plates, are used with the platform and try not to use the regular OLY plates, and especially how Tate talks about what is a fake GHR and whats a real GHR machine.

ill keep updates on how the project is going and maybe show prototypes and see how everything thinks of it. and at the end, we'll have a cool program everyone here can use.

Basic supplements. One for beginners and then an "explanation" of the "better" stuff.

vvsonikvv:

If I help you with your homework you will not get as much out of it as if you did it no your own (hey that's what I tell my kids).

I get what your trying to say. Im not asking for anyone to do anything for me. Just some ideas on what to put in it. The class has nothing to do with the content or any of that for that matter. Its just to make a 'product' to be used for learning. I just wanted what some people thought would be cool to put in there.

i.e. focus on OLY lifts, or stick to PL, or put in 'what people want': abs, curls in the squat rack, and bench presses every monday...

This project, i am taking waaaay above what is expected of me from the class. It just supposed to be a simple little thing, but i want to make it something really cool and useful.

im not asking for the research(homework), but what do you think would be good to stick in it. I was talking to my coach and i think he thinks im asking him the same thing.

Im asking like, do you think it'd be neat to put video and different angles of different shots and theory, or just stick to just 1 video and a few shots instead of information overkill.

stuff like that...

oh yea... part of the 'doing the homework' is doing market research, which means,... surveying the customers to see what they would want in it. ie like t-mag asking what do their readers want, with their polls and questions...

thats what im doing. sorry if i seemed like hey i have this homework, can you do it for me.