Strength Training Books

Could anyone suggest some good strength training books? I’m looking for something that focuses on strength training and strengthening your core, and also if possible preventing injury.

Thanks.

If you have this site, why go purchase a book. Tons of info here. Search. IMO.

JW

Any of Ian Kings books!

Get Buffed I–>III, Foundations of Physical Prep. Or his Injury Prev. and Rehab. video series.

Actually I’d like a book as well. The website isn’t always available and I’d like to be able to look at more information that might be available ( plus it’s much more comfortable to read from a book, for me anyway.)

I have seen Ct’s book and have thought about buying it, but would also like to hear if anyone has other recomendations for those focused on strength.

CT’s stuff is great. I have his “Black Book of Training Secret” and it’s without a doubt a worthwhile investment.

In fact, I’m going to go skim through it again because it’s been a few months since I looked it last.

I like books because they (at least the good ones) let you get a good view into the author’s philosophy on training. There are so many articles to read they all kind of mush together. I like to read the articles to get a sense of what the coach is all about, and if I like it I will get their book to see their philosphy and how they apply it.

“Muscle Logic” by Charles “The Secret Weapon” Staley.

You can thank me later.

What you want is a book on how to execute the big lifts properly. Well guess what, it has been written.

[center][u]Starting Strength[/u] by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore[/center]

I’ve been having everyone I interview for my newsletter list their top ten training/nutrition/coaching/motivational resources (books, DVDs). There have been some great recommendations thus far. It’s free, and you can sign up here:

http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter.html

Bill Starr - “The Strong Shall Survive”

[quote]Iron John wrote:
“Muscle Logic” by Charles “The Secret Weapon” Staley.

You can thank me later.

[/quote]

Second that vote. Also, The Ultimate Guide to Massive Arms E-Book by Charles. This is the big book of EDT.

on monday my shipment from amazon.com came in, it’s titled “Science and Practice of Strength Training” by Vladimir M Zatsiorsky

I got so sick of seeing this book being referenced in everything, I just thought I needed to go ahead and buy it… and a new book for only 17 bucks (I had a giftcard from work to offset the price) it was an offer that I could not refuse.

Next up is Siff’s Supertraining… fuck that one’s expensive though. yikes!

[quote]oboffill wrote:
What you want is a book on how to execute the big lifts properly. Well guess what, it has been written.

[center][u]Starting Strength[/u] by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore[/center]

http://www.startingstrength.com[/quote]

This is one of the best books I’ve read, and I have many. Check out Jim Wendler’s review of it - impressive!

Others I’d highly recommend:

Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky
Black Book of Training Secrets by Thibaudeau
All of the Elite Fitness Systems manuals
The Strongest Shall Survive by Starr
Dinosaur Training by Kubik
Super Squats by Strossen
Kelso’s Shrug Book by Kelso
Mastery of Hand Strength by Brookfield
The Gripmaster’s Manual by Brookfield

But Starting Strength by Rippetoe and Kilgore should absolutely be #1 on your list. They’re coming out with a new book in June (I think) called Practical Periodization, which sounds like it will be extremely good. I believe Glenn Pendlay is collaborating on that one as well.

[quote]pitbull11188 wrote:
Could anyone suggest some good strength training books? I’m looking for something that focuses on strength training and strengthening your core, and also if possible preventing injury.

Thanks.[/quote]

Dave Tate’s website carries virtually every book worth owning on the subject.

www.elitefts.com

In addition, I’m just finishing up an e-book on IGF and GH that has an extensive rehab chapter (50 pages on just rehab).