Strength training and hypertrophy

I want to get stronger and faster and more powerful for football. I would also like to get bigger but don’t want to train like a bodybuilder using traditional high volume- train each muscle group once a week. Do you think I could pack on a fair amount of mass just training for strength and power along with a high calorie diet.

“Do you think I could pack on a fair amount of mass just training for strength and power along with a high calorie diet.”

Yes. I used to do high volume bb stuff and I thought that I was going to be 190lbs forever. Anyways, I dumped that super high volume shit and started training for strength and I’ve managed to put on about ten pounds every year for the past three years. My strength has gone up considerably (even though I’m still a pathetic puss compared to my training partners).

Good luck.

yes.

use non traditional high volume.

I put on about ten pounds in eight weeks training strictly for powerlifting.

Prior to that I hadn’t gone over 5 reps in a workout and hadn’t really trained for max effort exclusively. It opened my eyes to what can really happen when you train for max effort exclusively.

The most effective way to get bigger/stronger (without drugs) is to continually change up your workout program. Don’t train ‘heavy’ or ‘just for strength’ for the next six months, that would kill your joints/tendons.

Even the highly vaunted Westside program incorporates light weights for speed work.

Periodize, period.