T Nation

Strength Standards

What do you guys think constitutes strength? I know we have the lifting levels of powerlifting federations to measure ourselves by, but what does everyone think elite numbers are for the big three? I think about this a lot because I wonder how I stack up as a 20 year old weightlifter who has yet to compete.

Jim Says?

Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you, I've got scars and blood and vomit. This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back. Jim Wendler

What is STRONG ???
Trained / Strong / Elite / Champion(Heroic as you called it)
Squat: 1.0xBW / 2xBW / 2.5xBW / 3.25xBW
Bench .75xBW / 1.5xBW / 2xBW / 2.5xBW
Deadlift: 1.5xBW / 2.5xBW / 3xBW / 3.5xBW

A body in motion stays in motion... unless it stops. Then, it gets fat and dies.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/under-the-bar-training-environment/

"300"
25x Pull-up +
50x Deadlift @ 135# +
50x Push-up +
50x Box Jump @ 24" box +
50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) +
50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) +
25x Pull-up
33) Here's the most important one. Take this shit to heart, because it works.

Dispense with the bullshit you generally do in the gym. Cut out all of the extraneous shit you usually get into. To do this, CAREFULLY time your arrival at the gym. Give yourself NO MORE than 45 minutes before the gym closes, or you have to get the fuck out to go elsewhere. I'll generally shoot for anywhere between 30 and 45 mins. On the way to the gym, you should formulate a general plan of attack- shit you want to do while you're in the gym. This part is critical- make them high-percentage exercises. Shit that fucks up your whole body. Deads, clean and press, ultra-heavy BTNs, squats, etc. Then, BLAST THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF THAT EXERCISE FOR A HALF HOUR OR WHATEVER. It doesn't matter how many sets and reps you do- just make the most of your limited time in the gym. No chatting. No bullshitting. No meandering. No vacillation about what exercise you're going to do. Just pick something and murder the fuck out of it. Fuck it up like OJ did Nicole.

"If you're a hooligan, you eschew bullshit and all of its unpleasant trappings, and you grab life by its throat and fuck it into submission."

www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

these seem a bit lofty

My current goals are to be 'strong.' Lol.

When it's no longer debatable ...

you see personally i find those exrx.net standards to be a little low...like i said im 20 and the only one that's really a ways off is the 585 squat or whatever it is. i was reading an article though by dave tate called "strength?" i believe, and he was saying how mediocre he though a 500 squat and 385 bench was for college linemen, and i always though 500 was at least a solid squat, but i guess you kinda have to look at who's writing the article. tate is a legend.

What are your lifts?

maxes are speculative...i think im right at a 600 deadlift and will probably attempt that within a few weeks, bench is in the 370ish ballpark, and squat is hard to say..mid to high 400's right now because im been playing with technique for a while. youtube me at "jjlederach"

if you look for bench 335x3, deadlift 545x3, and squat 405x5 those are all from this week. everything else is old.

These seem a bit low.

im in the mindset, that if you dont think your strong, you probably arent.

im the opposite mindset, if you think youre strong, you probably arent

gotta have faith in ones self or youll get nowhere. just dont be cocky about it.

If your mom says I'm strong, I probably am.

I agree, these are way to low, i think these numbers were posted to make people feel better about themselves.

Can you do the elite in the power snatch and power clean?

Oh yeah. I remember seeing your vids now. IMO the only standards that will ever really matter to you are you're own.

^^well said man i think there's a lot of truth to that

Which should read, "Never enough."